1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Need to purchase a new router+modem, but which one?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Farmgirl22, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22 Thread Starter

Over the last two weeks I've spent more time with my modem/router unplugged (trying to get it to work) than plugged in. I think it's time to replace it, but I'm not sure with what. Full disclosure: we operate a business out of our home, which requires a fair amount of uploading scanned documents. It also means that we need a system that just works, I'm the IT department, and I'm not very good. ;)

• We have roughly 13 wireless and 1 wired devices. (this includes printers, kindles, phones, tablets, etc.)
    • We have Cox, and they said I wanted a DOCSIS 3.1 system for sure.
    • My speed tests with the current setup are 16 Mbps down and 7.76 Mbps up. I'm pretty sure that's less than half of what I'm paying for.
    • My wifi range is considerably less than it was, half of the house gets almost no wifi now and I only have 1000 sq.ft!
    My current setup is a combo unit, so I'd need advice on either another combo unit or one of each. And it has to support one ethernet device+a router--my desktop computer doesn't have wireless connectivity.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I prefer separate units but I won't try to persuade you to make my choice.

Follow Cox's advice with a DOCSIS 3.1 modem (or modem part of a combo). My suggestion is to get a router with at least three antennas (example).

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have always used 2 separate units.

I'm partial to Motorola Surfboard modems. They seem very reliable.
    Currently I'm using model SB6121. It's only DOCSIS 3.0 so there is probably a newer model.
    Perhaps this model?
    https://motorolanetwork.com/mb8600.html

It doesn't matter what router you attach. I've had 3 attached to it and they all worked fine.
    We have 5 computers upstairs (ranch home) 3 at one time in the basement. We have 2 tablets, 1 phone and a wireless printer (in the basement).

With 2 units, the modem is sort of stuck where the cable company puts the connection but you can then move the router higher up so you get better coverage.

All areas of our home, including the outside patio and a front porch get the wifi signal.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I used the same modem as plodr; worked fine. Any of the higher end routers will give you good service. I like linksys however asus routers work well also. Currently I am using a linksys 7500 router.

5. Farmgirl22

Thanks guys! I've had really reliable netgear stuff in the past, is it still as good as it used to be? The model to be replaced is a motorola. I actually didn't mind it too much (once everything was finally connected using their crazy long password--printers were the worst!), but hubby says he is unimpressed. I'm kind of looking at doing the CM700 with the AC1750. I know it's not DOC 3.1, but I don't have crazy fast internet anyway (I'm supposed to get up to 50 Mbps). Would that be a good choice? Or should I keep looking?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    DOCSIS 3.0 should be fine. I've also only bought Motorola Surfboard modems, so cannot advise on any others.

I do not know any reason why that router would not be good for your use.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I hope you saw that the CM700 is temporarily out of stock.
    I ordered a router that was temporarily out of stock and after 8 days, I was informed that it was no longer available.

I went to BestBuy, bought the cheapest router on the shelf (Netgear N300) until I could find a Linksys that I wanted.

So, look for another modem just in case the CM700 never comes in.

8. Farmgirl22

Thanks guys! The guy at Best Buy talked me into the ones I linked to earlier. So now I've got them all set up and running, but I have a different problem now that I'll have to start a new thread for. :mad:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome.:)

Farmgirl22 likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice