1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to put OS on old WD hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greyhnds, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greyhnds

greyhnds Thread Starter

I formatted a Western Digital WD Caviar+ 26400 hard drive. I need to put an OS on it and my computer won't recognize it as being installed. I tried 3 different ages of computer and never could get one to recognize the hard drive as existing. What can I do?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

How did you format it if you couldn't get anything to recognize it and if it was recognized as a secondary (non-system) drive, is it still recognized as a secondary drive currently (after its not being recognized) and only not as a potential system drive? What OS are you trying to install and is it a retail install disc or something else? Is it an IDE drive or SATA?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

How could you format it if it wasn't recognized by any machine?

It needs to be seen in BIOS before Windows will see it. Check the jumpers and cables.

4. greyhnds

greyhnds Thread Starter

I forgot all about the formatting. I formatted it on one of the older computers and after that is when it was no longer being recognized. It was recognized before the formatting. I have checked the bios and it won't show up. I tried it as a master, as a slave, on the CS jumpers for both drives and as M and S and nothing will work. I have found references to drivers that this hard drive used but it is so old that WD no longer has them on their website. I have gone all over the internet looking for drivers or something and everything I found that was supposed to work doesn't do anything.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If three computers do not detect the drive and you've checked the jumpers and tried multiple IDE cables then it sounds like the drive is dead.

6. greyhnds

greyhnds Thread Starter

It was working before I formatted it. Did I do something wrong?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not necessarily, but static electricity or pressure on the circuit board could have damaged the drive.

Have you tried the drive by itself as the primary master at all or always with another drive connected on the same cable?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are no drivers needed for an old WD. It needs to be recognized in BIOS before the machine can use it. So look in BIOS first and see if it is there aan recognized correctly. If not set to be automatically detected there, it should be.

But formatting won't damage a drive, no matter how you did it. But it is a very intensive process that may have hastened the death of an already failing drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice