1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to rebuild vmm32.vxd after HD corruption

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bassman01, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bassman01

Bassman01 Thread Starter

I’ve recently encountered a HD error which prohibited Windows XP from starting. Essentially, the vmm32.vxd file was corrupted. I have since used an IBM disk utility to repair the damaged sector. Unfortunately, this has left me without a vmm32.vxd file – which I am now looking to restore or rebuild. I have seen some reference to this issue in other threads, but they did not much provide much assistance or referenced other Win OSes.

Any assistance on rebuilding the vmm32.vxd file under WinXP Home edition would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

3. Bassman01

Bassman01 Thread Starter

Hello Jeerajat,

Thank you for the reply. I have already checked out the links you posted-and then some. I will be attempting some of the recommendations I have found. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any directly related information around.

I'll keep you posted on my attempts to remedy the problem.

Thanks again.
    The Bassman01

4. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

vmm32.vxd? XP doesn't use a vmm32.vxd. It loads the OS in a very different way from Win9x.

What errors are you getting please? And what happens step by step when you try to start the computer?

6. Bassman01

Bassman01 Thread Starter

Hello Mosaic1,

Thank you for replying.

Initially I was booting my PC and as the OS was loading, the HD kept making a “clicking” sound. The drive had a bad sector which I repaired with the IBM DFT utility. I received an error to the effect (I’m paraphrasing) that the following file could not be loaded – Windows/system32/config/vmm32.vxd. This file can be repaired using the XP CD by selecting the “R” option at the boot screen. I am not sure if any other files were affected due to the corrupted sector – I would image that other files were affected.

I have been able to access the system via the CD boot / r option, then being placed in the recover console. This is where I have left off late last evening. I will be re-attempting another boot tonight when I get home from work. I can post additional details, subsequently.

Is there a utility to check/verify the integrity of the system files and perform a rebuild as needed?

Thanks

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That's odd. I have XP Pro and no vmm32.vxd. One of the Moderators here has XP Home. I am going to ask him to have a look at this thread.

You were taken to Recovery Console. Doing a Repair install instead is what will rebuild any problem system files. This is installing Windows on top of itself. If you do the repair install, you will lose any Windows updates and patches you have installed.

Here's a link with the directions:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/rep... XP by Installing Over top of Existing Setup:

8. Bassman01

Bassman01 Thread Starter

Mosaic1,

Not being too familiar with XP home, I wasn't sure about the existence of the vmm32.vxd file. Another strange thing was that I was placed into the recovery console after selecting the “R” repair option. This occurred on both attempts, but I will try again and give it another shot. Thanks for the link and your assistance/replies – it is much appreciated.

The Bassman01

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Have a look at the link. Yes. Choosing R will take you to recovery Console. That's great if you want to repair the boot sector or copy some files. If you are confused, I don't blame you. What the Repair install will do is to reinstall Windows on top of itself. That's different from the Recovery Console. Do not press R.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't have that file either on my XP edition. However it seems plausible that it could have been retained and even required if the install of XP was an upgrade from 9x or WinME, where it is used as a device loader. I don't know what could be calling it on your system.

This MS article provides an explanation if the error occurs after an attempt to Uninstall XP to return to the previous configuration, but no explanation suggesting otherwise. You cannot follow the directions below as they will not apply to your situation. The location of the file is not even the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326682

It's possible that the file, if required, would be rebuilt on a reinstall, as it would in lower Windows versions.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!