1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to recover data from cd

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by [email protected], Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dor@parker

[email protected] Thread Starter

I have windows ME on a laptop and I use Adaptec DirectCD to backup my files. I am no longer able to access the files on one of my cd's. When I click on the CD drive it says I need to install UDF Reader. My other cd's are fine.

Can anyone tell me how to restore this CD or how to recover my files?? PLEASE!!!

2. Moby

Moby

Backing up files using packet writing software is not the most reliable way of storage. For ease of use you sacrifice some reliability. With direct CD installed you are supposed to be able to read the files on your CD re-writable drive (not CDROM drives) so therefore should not need a UDF reader. Yet it says you need one? This is an example of it's unreliability. Going forward you should think about backing up using the normal burning method (not the Direct CD part of your software).
    To try and recover your files though, I have had a read of this page to see if there are any options. Look through it yourself, it may ring some 'option' bells for you.
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/dcdwin/dcdread.html
    Before trying any of these options I would make sure the files on your other CD's, even though you say they are fine at the moment, are backed up elsewhere - not relying on DirectCD to read them.
    From my reading of it, you could try installing the UDF reader. (link on the page) You could also install the UDF reader onto another computer, which would allow these files to be read (in normal circumstances) from a CDROM drive.
    You could try and install Direct CD to another computer with a CDRW drive.
    You could also look at the section 'Disc status - session disc open/closed'
    You could try uninstalling and re-installing DirectCD on your computer. It depends how important these files are to you. I again emphasise the importance of backing up your other CD's somewhere else before trying any of this though. If the files are important then you have to try something, but not at the expense of files on the other CD's.
    I'm sorry I haven't got a definitive solution, but it is this very example of unreliability that turned me away from this type of back up.
    Read that page and good luck.

3. dor@parker

[email protected] Thread Starter

Moby,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this. The files are veerry important since I deleted them off of my hard drive thinking that they would be safe. Ha,Ha!

I will try all of the things you suggested. I've yet to figure out how to use the CD burner (too many options, too little concentration). Can you recommend an Idiot's guide to CD burning? Otherwise, what method would you recommend as the most reliable for backups? I don't want to leave the files on my hard drive as they take up so much space and I don't need them very often.

Thanks again.
    D.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Usually, if you click on a CD made by DirectCD, there is an installer on the CD for the UDF Reader. You can click that if it is there and install it.

I'd suggest dumping DirectCD, too. It is unreliable, CD's can't be read on other machines that don't have UDF readers, and its drivers conflict all too often with other drivers and software. Besides, it only allows around 550 megs of storage space and you'd get the whole CD with normal ISO burning.

Look through the Help files for EasyCD and see how to burn a "multisession" CD. That way, you can add files to it when you want until the CD is full.

5. slipe

slipe

I agree with the others that packet writing to re-writable (RW) media is unreliable. But DirectCD is capable of writing to CDR and it is as reliable as mastering software. It makes sessions that can’t be altered once you close the session. DirectCD uses only 7Mb per session compared to about 14Mb for mastering software, so you have more space for data if you put it on in small increments. Formatting is fast and takes practically no space. When you close the CDR you can have it read in any computer, which makes it the same as a CD written with mastering software. DirectCD is the only common packet writing program that does that. You also have the ability to drag stuff directly to the drive without opening the mastering software.

DirectCD usually has conflicts only with other packet writing software. It is always active though, which I don’t much care for. Switching it off from the tray icon doesn’t completely deactivate it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice