Need to Recover Data from Failed HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cookies

Any suggestions on how to recover data from a failed hdd without paying a service?

Specs: P4 1.6, 640 RAM, 30 G, Inspiron 8200
The Dell folks will replace the hdd still under warranty; but, the data wasn't backed up recently.

Symptoms:
Computer left on overnight, in the morning BSOD (unknown error message, I'm afraid). User turned off the computer and when turned back on no primary hard drive found and no optical disk found.

Tried connecting the cd-rom, or just the hd, thinking the motherboard, or cable is bad/loose but it's a lappy and can't get the cover off. Dell indicated the optical disk would be recognized if the HD was present.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

G.

There are a couple of programs that will let you recover, there a few off the the top of my head 1 is Spinrite http://grc.com/intro.htm / Partition Magic, RecoverNT 3.5 even ghost may let you create and image then let you rip into with ghost explorer. Unforturnately none are free :) You maybe able to pull something off with a trial version or a demo.

Hey, Cookies...

Bring me in the laptop if you can. (The 8200's one of my faves and a cinch to take apart.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online