1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to recover files from HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by big_al4, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. big_al4

big_al4 Thread Starter

Hello,
    My daughters HP laptop will not operate. I'm sorry, I have few details. I realize this makes assistance difficult. She needs stored files for school.She has been told her files can be recovered for 100.00 to 150.00.
    I would like to recover them myself. I have heard of external hard drives, with USB connectors. Would it be possible to purchase a type of external mechanism, insert the HDD from my daughters laptop, connect thru USB to a second PC and read (assuming it's readable) the HDD and then save the files. Or alternatively, use a file recovery program on the second PC to retrieve data from the HDD on external mechanism? or does an external hard drive operate like a CD burner with room for two hdd's, its own and another?

Please excuse my naivete and lack of detail. All the detail I can provide.Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!
    Al

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. With something like one of These USB Adapters ... assuming the HD is OK, but not Bootable.

If you have an external HDD .... It is also possible to Image the HDD to a data file in the external ....
    From the Laptop .. (Even if it's not Bootable) ... Then read the Image from a good computer

3. big_al4

big_al4 Thread Starter

Noyb,
    First, thank you SO much for such a quick reply. Just to make certain I understand, even without the boot information from her laptop, an external HDD (with image s/w) would be able to pull info from the laptop (even though it isn't booted up) I assume with keyboard input, then pull files from the laptop HDD and store them on the external HDD? then of course I could attach to another computer to display the files?
    forgive my repeating back much of what you said, just to insure full understanding from my side.
    Thank you,
    big al

4. Hughv

Hughv

Yes. You don't need any particular software. Just Use Explorer to drag and drop or copy these files to your HD. Use the same HD to replace them when it's appropriate.
    A drive image is only useful if you're resurrecting the original laptop with a new drive.

5. big_al4

big_al4 Thread Starter

thanks both of you guys for your help. It would be okay to close this out. If I run into further issues with it I may try again.
    Thanks once more!
    big al

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    The easiest way is to mount the HD in an adapter .. And read it from another computer.
    Being that it's a Laptop .. Many do not have an adapter for a Laptop HD and it probably can't be mounted in another computer.

I use Acronis to make Backup Images of my computers to a Data file in my external HDs.

The other way would be to put the Acronis Boot CD in the HP Laptop and turn it on.
    It will Boot to Acronis running in Ram .. And an Image file could be made.
    Then the Image file can be read by Acronis running in a working computer.
    This would be an alternate way if you do not have the hardware to run the Laptop HD externally.

See the upper left corner of this page and you can mark this one Solved

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice