1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to recreate my registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Romen, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Romen

Romen Thread Starter

I tried to recover windows 98 after a virus attck on my registry, but i must of done something wrong because now I have a c:\windows.000 file and my registry is brand new. All of my programs are still there but I can't get to them unless use explorer orI manualy add icons back to my start menu. They don't show up in the registry or Add/remove progams list. Can someone please help?

2. brianF

brianF

You installed windows to a different directory (ie:windows.ooo)

My though would be you need to deltree the windows.ooo directory from dos and reinstall windows to the current windows directory, but not 100% sure, best guess

3. coderitr

coderitr

The windows.000 directory was created by scandisk in an attempt to recover bad sectors on your hard drive. The best thing you can do is save your data, format the c: drive and reinstall from scratch. If the format has problems then you will have to replace the disk.

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I have never seen Scan Disk create a directory of any type. The Windows.000 directory is generally created when an "Over Install" is attempted and the user does not point the install to the existing Windows directory. Knowing that two directories can not have the same name, the install script names the NEW one Windows.000. Hence you have TWO directories. One named Windows, and the other named Windows.000.

Your old registry with all the information about all of your existing programs probably still exists in Windows. However, the system now boots from Windows.000.

I agree with Brian F. Unless you want to format and do a clean install (which is always the best way), your next best bet would be to boot into DOS and do

C:
    Smartdrv
    Deltree Windows.000 (be sure to include the .000!!)

Once done, re-install Windows and be sure to direct the install to C:\Windows

Just as insurance, copy system.dat and user.dat to another folder before you re-install. These are the two main files that make up the registry in Windows 98. IF you have to, you can import them back after the re-install. But since this could get touchy, I would check things out after the re-install of Windows into the Windows directory. Chances are you won't have to do that, but insurance is always good.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Romen:

When "C:\WINDOWS.000" appears during the reinstall process, remove ".000" so it says "C:\WINDOWS", then continue on with the reinstall process.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

6. Romen

Romen Thread Starter

Great that worked, but my Norton 2004 strangly enough was compleatly gone. Ohh well it's a quick reinstall. The olny problem I have now is the virus was only quarintined. Is it loose again? Because Norton didn't detect it the first time and I'm afraid it won't again.

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Do you recall the name of the infected file? IF so, do a search for it.

8. Romen

Romen Thread Starter

Actually I believe it was a trogen virus but the specific name I don't remember. Norton installation is failing I've installed twice now.

9. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice