1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to reformat for win xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kim482, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kim482

kim482 Thread Starter

Ok, I need to make this quick. I have a win xp c.d and a freind told me I just need to pop it in and it will install. Now I'm getting this error message and it keeps restarting. I need to find out how to create a boot disk to reformat. please help!!!!!!!!!!

2. rude

rude

Go into the Bios and make sure to set the boot order to CD first.
    Then put the CD into the CD Rom and restart the computer.The computer will start up to a black screen saying "To boot from CD press any key..." You have to be quick because you only have about 5 seconds to press any key.That should get you started.

3. kim482

kim482 Thread Starter

I tried doing that, but I still have error messages and it gives me one minute before restarting. I also cleared my hard drive and tried to start from scratch, but it's not working. Just so you all know, I have a pentium III computer. I have to go now, I only have 33 seconds before it reboots

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I think you have a Sasser virus or variant thereof so formatting and starting again will be a good thing. Try to borrow a '98 or ME boot up floppy and at the a:\ prompt type format c: /s. This will give you a FAT32 system format but contrary to popular belief, XP will sit quite happily on that file system. The after the formatting is complete, restart, click start with CD support and note the drive letter assigned to the CD and the at the A:\ promt, type (drive letter)Setup and hit Enter.

5. kim482

kim482 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks so much! I'll try that tonight and let you know how it went!! I hope it works!!!!!!!!

6. Arky

Arky

On your XP CD there should be a folder X:\winXP_Bootdisk_Maker where X is your CDROM drive that the system disk is in. The program in this folder will allow you to make a set of 6 floppys to use for a preparatory boot for XP installation.

If you think you have the sasser worm, download stinger.exe from McAfee. It will take out sasser and more than 40 other recent malwares.

7. kim482

kim482 Thread Starter

Ok, I treid that, it didn't work, could you give it to me steo by step?

8. kim482

kim482 Thread Starter

Ok, I tried what Saga Lout suggested and I can't get it too work. I really need step by step insturctions on how to do it. I'm sorry, I'm just really confused. Thanks again for everyone's help!!

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you want to wipe the drive and reinstall XP . . Prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard
    and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

Hope this helps . . wrs

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This will not work. The command to start setup from dos is "winnt" not setup. Setup is a win32 app. In addition if you do try this, it will take many hours to install. The reason being that a win9x boot disk does not load smartdrive ie file caching.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is another excellent install guide [it even has screenshots of what you will see]

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!