need to reformat win xp but cat get my hp 8650c to boot from cd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

trixxxy

PLEASE PLEASE help tried all i know & could find on the subject! tried F1 to setup BIOS, set my boot to start with CD ROM, but still when i start with xp disk in CD/ROM and start no luck! I have a hp 8650c with xp on it, want to start fresh and reformat and reinstall xp pro. is there any other way to get my computer to boot to CD, i have 2 drives that came stock a cdrw drive, and a dvd/rom drive i put my win xp pro disk in my dvd/rom and it starts up but i need it to boot the CD so i can reformat!!! HELP PLEASE trixxxy
maybe i'm not setting the BIOS boot right, but CD ROM is at the top of the list, then i saved & exit with F10 and it automatically restarts but goes to my regular start up UGHHHHHHHH! fix it for me PLEASE : )

You should see a message during boot up, that says
"Press Any Key to Boot from CD"

Press the space bar or any other key when you see this, and it should boot from the cd, provided you have set it correctly in the bios.

The message is only there briefly before it boots to the hard drive, so keep an eye out for it.

trixxxy

so i need to start up my computer with disk in cd rom and look for press any key to boot from cd, then hit space bar! once you hit the space bar does the computer automatically restart! HOPEFULLY! ive reformatted before with XP Pro, set the boot priority and restarted and I was off and running! thanks i'll give this a shot and let you know how it goes!!! trixxxy aka: tracy

The Comp won't restart, it will just continue to boot, but from the XP CD and not the hard drive.

You might also try putting your cd into the other drive you have, if the above doesn't work.

I just noticed your Computer is a HP, did it come pre-loaded with XP ?
If so, they should have supplied you with restore disks to restore it to factory settings.

Some HP comps also have a hidden partition that contains the Recovery disks, usually you would have an option like hitting F10 or something to do a restore.

trixxxy

No it came with 98se not sure who or how xp pro was installed or even if its compatible with this computer???? It's not my baby! thankfully lol a friend gave me a bunch of computers & parts try'n to fix it for my neighbor lady to use and at the present it wont do much when running : ) trixxxy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online