1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Need to Reinstall Windows 10 OS. Save OS on Rescue Disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by referee07, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I need to reinstall my computer's Windows 10 OS. Should I save the OS on the Rescue Disk? If the OS is bad and I save it to the Rescue Disk, won't the bad OS be re-installed? Also, will the Rescue Disk work without the OS being on the disk? Thanks in advance to any and all replies?

2. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

Why do you intend to reinstall the os?

If you need a clean install of windows 10 format everything and use the original windows 10 installation disc.

Recovery discs repairs the system(some errors may not be corrected in this way) whereas a clean install removes the imstalled os and installs a new copy of it.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

PopinArt, thanks for the reply. Widows 10 has been crashing, and when my computer starts again, there is a message indicating that Windows had a problem loading and needed to restart. This happened over-and-over. I had been working with dvk01, a Moderator at STS.org, who suggested that I need to reinstall the Windows 10 OS. The article from Tech Republic indicated that I need to have a Recovery Drive before I attempt to reinstall Windows 10. When I began making the Recovery Drive on a thumb drive, I had to check whether or not I wanted to add the OS to the Recovery Drive. And, I would like to know if by adding the more-than-likely corrupt Windows 10 OS to the Recovery Drive thumb drive and use the Recovery Drive when I reset my computer to keep my files when I reinstall the OS, will I be re-introducing the corrupt OS back in my computer?

4. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

Do you use a laptop or a pc and was windows 10 preinstalled in it?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

I have never tried to recover a pc from a designated Recovery Disk. Brand name machines always costs $200 more than a self built one, and has less features on the motherboard. I always just copy out the files I want to a USB memory stick, then boot the DVD/USB memory stick created with MS Media Creation Tool. and do a custom/clean install.

6. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

If you use a laptop, then there should be a recovery partition in it. And if it is there, you don't need any installation disc or recovery disc.
    Just start the boot menu during system startup. Should be Esc or function keys.
    There should be a option-System recovery/troubleshoot. Select that and the windows will automatically do a clean install.

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

PopinArt and lunarlander, thanks for your replies. I use a Dell laptop and it came with Windows 10 pre-installed. dvd01 included a link to an article by Tech Republic called "Reset Your Windows 10 System With the Keep My Files Option." This article shows how to preform a fresh install of Windows 10 while keeping all of the data intact. I can pretty much follow the step-by-step instructions of the article, but the article indicates that I will need to have created a Recovery Drive beforehand. My concern is, if I include the current Windows 10 OS on the Recovery Drive, will it (with a probable corrupt file or files on it) be re-introduced into my computer? And, if I don't include the current Windows 10 OS on the Recovery Drive, will the Recovery Drive work. I live outside of the U.S. and I know of no good computer shops where I can take my computer to a computer tech to work on it.

Thanks again for the help.

8. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

Can you give a link to the article?

I think dvk01 is in this forum too. If he's the same person, you can ask him for further assistance.

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    The recovery drive is just a precaution of having a backup before performing the Reset procedure. If you have a current backup or it is not needed then you can proceed.

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

PopinArt and dckeks, thanks for the replies. I believe that I have a good back-up now via Acronis. And, if-worse-comes-to-worse, I believe that I can reinstall what I currently now have. Thanks for all of your help.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Sure, let us know if need anything else and if not please mark Solved.

12. PopinArt

PopinArt Account Closed

Thanks.

13. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

dckeks, done. And, thanks again for your help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice