1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to remove gps map on posted photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by margs, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margs

margs Thread Starter

I have a Mac OS X. I borrowed a camera and posted some photos but neglected to see that the gps also went with the photos and there is a click on map of where they were taken. I would like to replace the photo and remove that info but converting the photo to PNG or Save for Web and other suggestions has not removed the click on map. I have PSE 8 and wondered if it was capable of stripping this info or do I need a safe stripper?
    Many thanks for any help.

2. wilson44512

wilson44512

try to find a free exif editor.

3. margs

margs Thread Starter

Thanks wilson. Even the web site gives me the option to remove EXIF and after unchecking it it still shows.
    I'll post again if I find one that works in my situation.

4. moper

moper

Xnview is an excellent, free photo editor that has a version for Mac.

Just 'Save As' the file and uncheck the, 'Keep Exif Data' box. Choose a new name so as not to overwrite the original.

moper

Attached Files:

5. margs

margs Thread Starter

Hi Moper. Remember I am a Mac girl. This is how my choice looks from 'Save As' in PSE8. Each time I have saved it with new names and extensions.
    Can you think of another way for me? I don't want to delete the photo from the posting as it has responses attached and I will loose them. Maybe that is the only way to accomplish this. What do you think is best or quickest?

Attached Files:

6. moper

moper

PSE8??
    I said to try Xnview. If the Mac 'save as' box is the same as the Windows version, you just uncheck it.

moper

7. margs

margs Thread Starter

Yes you did and now that my frantic eyes have settled on that I'll get it.
    I sure do appreciate your help Moper. Thanks for your patience.
    I'll get it and reply with "Solved" when it is done.

8. moper

moper

Another option, since you already have Photoshop Elements, is to use the 'Save for Web'. That removes the Exif. At least in Windows, it does.

moper

9. margs

margs Thread Starter

Thank you Moper. I have tried that but I think that the EXIF is separate from the GPS info. I have deleted the two images I posted and will find another way to post or just make sure the GPS is turned off when I take pictures with this borrowed camera.
    I also couldn't get XNView to open. I downloaded, installed and when I clicked on the icon to open the program it quicly bounced on my dock and then disappeared. I have the icon of an 'X' which I suppose came with the application so that a mac could read and use XNView. Hovering my mouse over the icon it reads X11. Don't suppose you can help with this other than tell me how to uninstall the XNView application. Is it related to the irfan view program that I used when I had a pc? It was a wonderful little one to use.

10. moper

moper

The 'Save for web' should remove that info. Change the name of the photo. Maybe it was stored in some sort of cache.

moper

11. margs

margs Thread Starter

Too late to play with it now. It is gone. I deleted them. I'm going to now ask the administration from that site how to get rid of the GPS. I didn't want to post it while they were still up as I didn't want to advertise where I lived.
    I did change names, file extensions, ways to save and none worked to remove the GSP info. I even unchecked the web's choice for not showing camera type and EXIF but still the GSP remained. If I get an answer from them I'll post it.

How should I go about deleting the unusable program XNVIEW?

12. moper

moper

13. margs

margs Thread Starter

No apparently I found myself here: http://www.xnview.com/en/downloadunix.html
    I just did the latest link you sent and it opens like a charm.
    Any more advice on deleting or uninstalling the other? I think with a mac I may just have to throw it in the trash??

14. moper

moper

15. margs

margs Thread Starter

You are a dear. Thanks.
    Now to get out of my PJs. (just kidding)
    Been at this long enough. I'll carry on in a bit as you have given me lots to do.
    Many thanks for your time and knowledge Moper.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice