1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to remove Office/Word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gameman, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have a client here who has Word 2000 as part of Microsoft Office 2000 on a Windows 98 machine. Word no longer runs (gives errors or freeszes every time). Now she has lost the office CD, so I can no longer repair or remove this version of word (it requires the CD for both tasks).

My question is does anyone know of a remove tool to remove Word and any Office 2000 remants safely? She only wants word so if need be she will purchase a new copy, but to repurchase Office would be over $300 and be overkill as she never even installed anything other than Word.

Any assistance is apprecated.

-Gameman

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Start-->Run and type regedit.

Go to:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\

Right-click and rename (or delete) the office folder.

In Windows Explorer, go to C:\program files\microsoft office

Delete the entire microsoft office folder.

Please check with her....

She may want to back up some *.DOT (template) files she created before deleting everything.

Also, a file called Normal.dot holds macros she may have created, autocorrect and autotext entries, and toolbar settings.

She's not using Outlook, is she? It's part of Office... If she's using Outlook Express or other email program, it's okay.

Tell her, IMHO, to buy Word 2000 and don't go with the newer versions. :)

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Thanks for the info dream. I figgured I could probably find the right regesrty keys, but with microsoft you never know how many places they will put them and I didn't want to miss any etc. And I planed on backing up the entire word directory just in case there were files she wanted (she has only used 1/4th of the HD space so that is not a issue).

And I know all about the XP version of Office.....a major pain. Same activiation crud as Windows XP (not to mention other problems.

As for outlook, no outlook express but I will double check on that. Again thanks for the assistance.

-Gameman

4. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hmm now this has me stumped. I got rid of Word (the disk finally did turn up, so I used the uninstalled as well as regedit to get rid of all regestry info), rebooted, reinstalled and word works fine the first time you use it. After that it just gets to the splash screen and hangs, same as before. Very odd how it works once then never again. Even if you load nothing else and try to get right back in the program, no go. I have looked all over for other keys to no avail. I even tried another version of office (Office for small business 2000 SP1) that I had to see if that would do the same thing....and it does....runs ones then hangs every time.

Anyone else ever run into this? BTW the OS is Win98 and the browser is IE6 (thought I would mention that as Word does link a few times into IE)

Any help is apprecated.

-Gameman

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Do this:

Close Word, if you managed to get it open.
    Find and delete ALL instances of a file called normal.dot on the PC.
    Check the STARTUP folder for Word. It's called startup and will be somewhere like c:\program files\microsoft office\startup. Not sure--depends on your install. If you just look for folders called Startup, you're sure to be able to find the one that will be for Word, but it's not usually under a WORD folder, just an MS Office folder.

Remove any files from that folder.

Now, restart Word and see if you get the same problem.

Let me know. I'm hanging in with you...

6. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well as they say......BINGO! I thought I had got rid of all the normal.dot files, but come to find out there was one also hiding in the windows\application data\microsoft\templates. I got the ones in the application data\microsoft\office folder but didn't know (or think) that there would also be a copy ALSO in templates. I should have though since that is a template file.

As I said the odd thing was is it would run only once, right after install then just freeze the system every time after that. That is what really threw me for a loop. Made it look like run-once-shareware heh.

Anyway it is running fine now, even rebooted it a few times and it loads every time without a hitch. Thank you Dream, I very much apprecate your help and hanging in there.

-Gameman

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You bet, GM. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice