1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to remove some icons off desktop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by redbird, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redbird

redbird Thread Starter

:) Hello, We had some trouble getting out of a sight. Then a new unwanted icon appeared on my desktop. Also, there were already a couple of icons that are useless where they are. Anyway, I'm pretty new to my computer or computers in general. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. whytwolf

whytwolf

Ok....usually icons on your desktop are just shortcuts...you can tell by the little arrow in the bottom left corner of the icon...if you see that arrow, you can just right click on the icon and delete it without any problems. But if you don't see the arrow on an icon then you shouldn't delete it.

Now...icons on your desktop MOST OF THE TIME are shortcuts to some kind of program in your program files....if you want to keep the program and not the icon then you can just delete the icon.

If you want to uninstall the program you'll have to go to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/ADD-REMOVE PROGRAMS to uninstall them.....you should NEVER JUST DELETE A PROGRAM......ALWAYS UNINSTALL it from add/remove programs.

I hope this helps!

3. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, redbird

Just Right click on your desktop & go to new

then folder rename it what you want & put

the Icons you do not want in the folder & put it where

you want to hide it this way if you have a problem

you can get out of it by going to the folder

Good luck

4. redbird

redbird Thread Starter

:) :) :) Thank you so much for your help. As I get a little more familiar with this I know it will be easier, but in the mean time I have to depend on people with more knowledge than I. Again thanks, I,m sure I can follow ya'lls instruction.

5. $teve

$teve

redbird,thats an excellent idea from AAPlus,you could call the name folder "rubbish" or something,if i were you i would go to start/search type "dialers" and see what you get,apart from your isp you should ditch any others in there too for a couple of weeks,then comeback in and we will see about ridding you of them.
    these self imposing icons are a menace,just dont go clicking on them.
    good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice