1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to remove Windows Media Player 9 from 98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by poundkatt, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poundkatt

poundkatt Thread Starter

After installing Windows Media Player 9 on a computer with 98SE OS I discovered I could not play all my music, so I removed it I thought. I then installed WMP 7, which I have on another computer & does good.
    WMP 7 now has all the traits that I don't like in WMP 9, & I can't seem to get rid of them, no matter haw many times I unistall & reinstall WMP 7, in addition I have now lost visualizations in WMP 7. I suspect a registry problem, but don't know how to fix it.
    HELP!!! THANKS!!! PoundKatt

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

3. RSM123

RSM123

Read this detailed FAQ for Win Media Player :

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#assoc

Did you try going through My Comp > Control Panel > Add Remove Programs ? Do this and select WMP9 in the list and there should be an option appear to 'rollback' to the original WMP (6.4.) Once done try reinstalling a later version.

4. Deke40

Deke40

Try going into WMP9 under options\formats and unchecking everything. Then go into WMP7.1 and check everything under formats. Also go to MS and download all the codecs. I went back to 6.4 and have no problems playing almost anything.

5. Stephen47

Stephen47

I was under the imression that wmp9 couldn't be uninstalled

6. Deke40

Deke40

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FDISK, FORMAT, INSTALL. WMP9 is now gone! :D

8. Stephen47

Stephen47

is it really worth all the trouble of formatting just to get rid of wmp9? is it really so bad? I have no problem with it

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice