1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to replace a hard disk....how big should I go?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crossfireltd, Jan 14, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. crossfireltd

crossfireltd Thread Starter

I have an older HP Pavillion a6319fh desktop that has a failing hard disk ,and needs to replaced. the failing HD is 360mb and I would like to install a larger capacity HD. My question is how big can I go, and if there are any restrictions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard:
    Manufacturer: Asus
    microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
    Northbridge chipset: Intel G33 Express
    Southbridge chipset: Intel ICH9R
    Operating speed: Up to 2.2 GHz

Processor:
    Pentium E2200
    Operating speed: Up to 2.2 GHz
    Bus speed: 800 MHz

Memory:
    4 GB

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

A 1TB is pretty standard unless you plan to save a bunch of movies on it. I recommend the western digital Black drive. The blue and green versions are of lesser quality. You might want to think about getting a newer computer and transfer your files to it. Yours is as they say is "old in the tooth".:)

3. crossfireltd

t
    Agreed....and thank you for your reply. I will be using it basically as a music server and basic web browsing for the Mrs'.

4. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Based on how much space is left on your 360 Gb drive, and your anticipated storage needs, you could go with the 1 Tb SATA drive, as lynx 1021 suggested, or maybe a 500 Gb SATA drive. Just curious, how did you determine your hard drive is failing?

5. crossfireltd

I kept getting drive failure warnings at boot up, and then finally the windows blue screen of death. At this point the machine would boot at all, I was able to get to the "diagnoistic" screen and had a drive failure error message. Tried to use the recovery media and system stated that " drive could not be found". I was already researching buying a new rig and just put this one to the side.

6. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Thanks, When you get all those symptoms, that makes it pretty clear. Good luck with the new drive.

crossfireltd likes this.
  7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You should be fine up to 2TB.

crossfireltd likes this.
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice