1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to replace DC in 2003 Standard Edition

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Lorenzo2win, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorenzo2win

Lorenzo2win Thread Starter

I have done this before - add new server to domain, promote it, demote and remove old - - But this time I'm wondering:

1) Should I upgrade version and if so, to which version: 2008 2008R2 2011 2012 . . . the 2003R2 is serving us fine but it at end of life.

If I upgrade to 2008/2011/2012, should I:

2) the current 2003 DC is failing - I do have a 2nd 2003 SE server in domain, should I promote this 2nd server to DC then demote/remove the failing before I add the new server and then do the upgrade

3) or keep the two current 2003 SE running when I add the 3rd (new version) server?

I hope this makes sense, but asked open ended - if you had a 2003 standard edition domain with (2) 2003 servers, one is DC and is failing . . . there is no crunch yet so have time to proceed with the best plan.

-- 28 users, no exchange or IIS

2. srhoades

srhoades

With only 28 users no exchange and no IIS it will not take long to replicate the domain. With a new 2008 server you will need to Adprep the domain first to upgrade active directory so it can replicate to the 2008 server. Don't forget to transfer the FSMO roles

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464018(v=ws.10).aspx

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice