need to replace DC in 2003 Standard Edition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lorenzo2win

I have done this before - add new server to domain, promote it, demote and remove old - - But this time I'm wondering:

1) Should I upgrade version and if so, to which version: 2008 2008R2 2011 2012 . . . the 2003R2 is serving us fine but it at end of life.

If I upgrade to 2008/2011/2012, should I:

2) the current 2003 DC is failing - I do have a 2nd 2003 SE server in domain, should I promote this 2nd server to DC then demote/remove the failing before I add the new server and then do the upgrade

3) or keep the two current 2003 SE running when I add the 3rd (new version) server?

I hope this makes sense, but asked open ended - if you had a 2003 standard edition domain with (2) 2003 servers, one is DC and is failing . . . there is no crunch yet so have time to proceed with the best plan.

-- 28 users, no exchange or IIS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online