1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to replace Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mosskeeter, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mosskeeter

Mosskeeter Thread Starter

My HD died on me (ran into a bad cluster while doing a complete scan and then failed to reload, etc.) and I need to replace it with a suitable substitute that is the same capacity. The old one was a Maxtor D540X 60GB ATA/100, I think the most appropriate replacement would be a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus-9 ATA/133 60GB, but I wonder if anyone could confirm this. The OS is Windows Me.

2. brite750

brite750

Yes that's fine, but it will most likely run at the 100 not 133 data rate which is fine.

3. sligo

sligo Banned

Have you considered greater capacity--drives are so cheap these days--If you are a gamer or edit video I would recommend the 7200 rpm 8mb cache version of any drive you buy.

4. Mosskeeter

Thanks for the response. I could tell the thing was acting strange, so for the first time in a year I wisely burned hard copies of over 1000 digital photos that were on that HD. Two hours later it was dead. Amen.

5. Mosskeeter

Regarding greater capacity HD: I have a set of 3 system mirror/restore discs and the easiest replacement requires that I get the same size HD. I also think that the processor (P3) probably couldn't handle much more. But yes, I'll probably pay more per GB than I should. It seems as if the 60GB's are borderline being discontinued but prices are not coming down- I guess a lot of people are still buying them for the same reason I am.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most backup/imaging programs do not care if the hard drive's capacity changes. However, buy a drive that suits your needs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/257585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice