- Oct 28, 2020
We do use windows server , and how can we reserve the ip address for particular machine by using DHCP . Please help ,What are the things needs to be done in machine and windows server .
Thank you very much for the solutionOkay, good. This will be fairly straightforward for you. The first thing you need to do is get the MAC address from the machine you're going to create the reservation for. If it's a Windows-based machine, open a command prompt, type in getmac /v and then hit Enter. Make note of the 12-digit hexadecimal address for the network card.
After that, do the following on the server:
You shouldn't have to do anything else on the client workstation. As long as it's configured to use DHCP from your server, try rebooting and then logging in. You should be able to see the IP address assigned to it automatically from the server in the reservation.
- Logon with an account that has administrative privileges and make sure that DHCP scope is configured.
- To begin configuring DHCP, open the snap-in by clicking on the search box at the bottom of the Windows Start menu and typing in DHCP.
- Once the snap-in opens, expand the name of the server and look for the IPv4 option. Click to expand this, too.
- Expand the scope in which you want to configure reservations.
- Right-click on Reservations and then click on New Reservation.
- This will open a new box, so use a name you'll remember easily for the reservation. Type in the IP address you want to use for mapping the PC, and then enter the MAC address you retrieved earlier.
- You can leave everything else alone, click the Add button, and then close the snap-in.
Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.
If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.
Join over 807,865 other people just like you!