1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to reset my old Compaq Presario Desktop MV540 to factory settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by izod1026, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izod1026

izod1026 Thread Starter

Aug 6, 2011
    I have an old Compaq Presario MV540 that I use just for games. It's running on Windows XP.
    I had two user accounts on the computer that were password protected. Somehow, my lovely brother figured out my password and got into my account. He then changed my password along with his password. Then he forgot both of them (what a genius). We tried unsuccessfully to figure out the passwords for sometime. When that didn't work, he kept pressing random buttons (he just keeps getting smarter) and somehow, he set a COMPUTER password. So when we turn on the computer, it won't even go to the account page now. It has a black screen and asks us to type in a "Computer password" which he doesn't know. I'd like to get this ordeal over with and just reset the whole computer (nothing on there is worth saving anyway). We don't have any recovery CDs or the Windows XP CDs anymore as we had thrown them out when we got a Mac for general usage.
    How can we resolve this? Can I do anything without a recovery CD? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
  2. 1002richards

1002richards It's My Birthday! Trusted Advisor

Jan 29, 2006
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011120