Need to restore my old machine with the manufacturer cd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Frank3D

Hello,
I need to restore my old windows 98se machine with the manufacturer recovery CD. I am not talking about the OEM Windows 98 disc, but a Recovery CD made by AST Computers LLC NOT AST Research with windows 98. The computer I have is a Bravo Series with a Pentium III and an 8.4GB Hard Drive. I need the AST Computers LLC Windows 98 Recovery CD to complete the restore with the OEM AST installation. If anybody can help me out, I would very well appreciate it. Thanks.

I had a look on eBay, but couldn't find anything pertaining to that company. Since they folded in 2001, I'm afraid it looks as if you'll have a devil of a time finding the requisite disk.

Frank3D

Thanks for replying, I spent quite a deal of time finding support information; I went on www.ast.com using webarchive back to 2000, most of the links are dead and I cannot download the Bravo Series Manual specific to my system. I also contacted the company who supported these computers after AST Computer LLC closed up and they have no archived information either. BestBuy did support these machines as well. The closest thing I found was a thread here on TechGuy with a person with a similar computer with the possession of the AST CDs which I need for my system, but I cannot contact him and he has been inactive for a while.

ACK! Sorry, it looks like you may be chasing ghosts with this one. Is there a specific application you need, and that's why you're looking for this specific disk? Would you be able to run it on another system running an OEM 98 disk? Virtualisation may also be an alternate route; however, that's obviously contingent upon your needs.

Frank3D

No, I believe this AST Recovery CD will work on computers manufactured by AST Computers LLC only. This thread on TechGuy shows that the original poster had some disks relative to my machine: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/erasing-my-hard-drive-on-a-98se.392682/

I could use a regular Windows 98 CD to restore it, but there will be driver issues as well some rare and useful programs missing from the lot. Not to mention that it will just be a regular Windows 98 machine without distinction.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online