1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to scan a document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JbOnd, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JbOnd

JbOnd Thread Starter

I need to scan this document into Word and be able to edit it. I read the stuff about the OCR, but I can't tell whether my scanner has that capability or not. It does not give me a .doc type file option.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Would help to know what scanner you're using.

3. Arky

Arky

You will need additional software such as Scansoft Office 14 for text recognition and importing.

4. JbOnd

JbOnd Thread Starter

I got out the disc that came with my scanner (a canon multifunction), and found an option for installing the OCR software, and, as I had read in someone's post, the option to "acquire text" is in the File menu of Word. Now I'm just having a little trouble getting it to format - some of the text is cut off no matter what I do. And a wierd thing happened - I went into print preview and one of my pages had writing on top of writing, even though I couldn't see it in Normal view. I'm still working on it today, so any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

5. Arky

Arky

This is an idiosyncracy of the OEM OCR software you are using. You will have to live with it or upgrade to Scansoft Office. Even then there are times when it is best to save a document to Wordpad rather than MS Word. Sometimes even by cut and paste. Better fidelity.

6. JbOnd

JbOnd Thread Starter

We are looking into the Scansoft.
    Thank you!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice