need to secure wireless connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rascalking

hello.......I was wondering if someone could through a step-by-step process on how to secure my wireless connection.

my router is a Dell Truemobile 2300........WX-5565D........

unfortunately, i can't find my cd's....:(

How do I set up the WPA Preshare Key with TKIP Encryption on my Dell TrueMobile 2300 Router?

Configure the 2300 Wireless Router for WPA-PSK with TKIP Encryption.

Double-click on Internet Explorer.
The Internet Explorer window appears.
In the Address Bar type my.router or the default IP address 192.168.2.1.
Press the <Enter> key or click Go.
The TrueMobile 2300 password window appears.
Type the User Name and Password.
NOTE: The default user name is admin and the default password is admin.

Click OK.
The TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Router configuration window appears.
Click Basic Settings.
Click Wireless Security in the left-hand pane.
Click to select Enable Wireless Security.
Under Network Authentication, select WPA (Wireless Protected Access) from the drop-down menu.
Input a network key or password in the field to the right of WPA Pre-Shared Key.
NOTE: Your network key or password can use 8 to 64 characters using Hexadecimal digits or 8 to 63 characters using ASCII characters.

Choose ASCII Characters or Hexadecimal Digits from the drop-down menu next to Key Format.

NOTE: Hexadecimal Digits (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F only) and ASCII Characters (any letter, number, or symbol).

It is recommended that the WPA Group Rekey Interval is left to the default number of 300.
NOTE: This option is for advanced users only.
WPA Group Rekey Interval is used to specify the frequency of encryption key rotations. The lower the number, the faster your encryption key will rotate, however, setting this number too low may cause your wireless network to slow down.

Select TKIP (Temporary Key Integrity Protocol) from the drop-down menu next to WPA Encryption.
Click the Save & Apply button in the left pane of the menu.
Click the Save & Restart button in the middle of the page.

Configure Your TrueMobile 1300 or 1400 for Wireless Card for WPA with TKIP Using Windows XP.

Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
The Control Panel window appears.
Click Switch to Classic View in the left pane.
Double-click the Network Connections icon.
The Network Connections window appears.
Right-click Wireless Connection, and then left-click Properties.
The Wireless Network Connection Properties window appears.
Click the Wireless Networks tab.
The Wireless Networks window appears.
Click the Add button.
The Wireless Network Properties window appears.
Type your Network name in the field next to Network name (SSID).
Select WPA-PSK (Wireless Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) in the field next to Network Authentication.
NOTE: The TrueMobile 1300 and 1400 cards must have the most up to date driver for WPA to work. Also, Microsoft Updates Q815485 and KB826942 must be installed as well.

Click TKIP (Temporary Key Integrity Protocol) next to Data Encryption.
Type the same Network Key that was used in the TrueMobile 2300 wireless router and Confirm the network key.
NOTE: Hexadecimal Digits (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F only) and ASCII Characters (any letter, number, or symbol). Your network key or password can use 8 to 64 characters using Hexadecimal digits or 8 to 63 characters using ASCII characters.

Another option for WEP
Overview

To set up security on your wireless network with the Dell TrueMobile 2300 wireless router, perform the following steps:

Changing the Administrator Password on the Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Router

Enabling the WEP for the Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Router

Click the links above for detailed instructions.

Additional Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing the Administrator Password on the Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Router

Click the Start button.

Click All Programs.

Click Internet Explorer.
The Internet Explorer browser window appears.

Type the following in the Address line:

Click the Go button.
You are prompted for a Username and Password.

Type the following as your username:
admin

Type the following as your password:
admin

Click the OK button.
The Dell TrueMobile Setup Page appears.

Click the Advanced Settings tab.
A note appears stating that Dell provides the advanced features for your convenience only. Dell technical support representatives can not support the configuration options in the Advanced Settings portion of the setup program.

Click the OK button.

Click the Administration Settings button on the left side of the page.

Put a check in the box to the left of the Change Your Password setting under the section of the page titled Password Settings.

Type the password that you want to use in the New Password field.

Retype your password in the Retype Password field.

Click the Submit button.
Another window appears stating You have successfully submitted the settings to this device!

Click the Save and Restart button.
Your new password will be saved into the router settings.

Return to Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enabling the WEP for the Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Router

Click the Start button.

Click All Programs.

Click Internet Explorer.
The Internet Explorer browser window appears.

Type the following in the Address line:

Click the Go button.
You are prompted for a Username and Password.

Type the following as your username:
admin

Type the following as your password:
admin

NOTE: If you previously changed your administrator password in the advanced settings of the router you will need type the password that you set.

Click the OK button.
The Dell TrueMobile Setup Page appears.

Click the Basic Settings tab.

Click the Wireless Security button on the left side of the page.
The Wireless Security window will appear.

For the highest level of security choose the 128 Bit encryption option.
You will have to type a name for your encryption key in the field to the left of the 128 Bit option.

Click the Save and Restart button on the left hand side of the page.
The Save and Restart window appears.

Click the Save and Restart button.
Your settings will be saved to the router.

rascalking

problem: I don't have a "WPA" option in my wireless connection tab......and I can't find where to download those updates......

This probably means that the hardware is too old to support WPA. You can either update the drivers from the web, or else, download a 3rd party WPA program.

rascalking

ok, cool.....i downloaded the driver upgrades and I now have WPA working.....

one more question though.......Since I have installed WPA, whenever my laptop is idle (meaning no internet use) for more then 2 or 3 mins, it seems that the wireless connection stops.......and then right when i touch the mouse again, i see the little box in the right-hand corner come up saying (connected)........this is really bothersome because i download a LOT of stuff when my computer is idle, so i'm trying to solve how to not drop the connection when idle......thanx!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online