1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to set up Password for Computer with New Hard Drive & fo DSL on another computer

Discussion in 'General Security' started by thankful, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Not too long ago I upgraded the harddrive on my laptop and got some real helpful advice. I have another question about my laptop as well as my desktop.

One thing that I have not been able to do with my laptop since upgrading the hard drive is password protect the computer. Before the upgrade, you had to log in to use the computer - now all anyone has to do is turn it on and everything is accessible. I have tried everything I could find under user accounts. I have created an administrator account. When I log out of it, I have to log back in with a password, but when the computer is first turned on, there is no password that is required. Anyone can turn it on and get into anything. What can I do to remedy this?

Secondly, we just got DSL on our desktop computer. When we had dial up, you had to put in a password before it would "dial up" and get me on line. Now, the DSL internet is on as long as the computer is on. We are trying to have safe internet with children in the home, and have not even gotten wireless for the home desktop, but are sticking with an ethernet cable and have the computer in a very open area. But I would like the kids to be able to use the computer anytime but not be able to get on the internet unless we put the password in so that their internet usage is supervised. What can I do to password protect the internet?

2. Benny Bumble

Benny Bumble

Hi, Clik "start">control panel>dbl clik "user accounts" & then "change the way users log on"
    Ben

3. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Benny. This is what I originally did. I tried again though and restarted the computer. It still didn't require a log in to get into it. Still anyone can just turn it on and use it in any way. Do you have any other suggestions

4. elektrik.star

elektrik.star

My mother used to have all sorts of protections up on the computer when I was younger. My first suggestion would be to check into your parental controls. Is there a way in them to create accounts for your children only they can access? You'll be able to password protect that, as well as various other things like set up appropriate filters and time limits on usage.

Personally, I've had Yahoo for quite some time and normally when there's a log-in because the dsl can be connected at any time and doesn't require to use your actual phone line, it WILL stayed connected. You should just be able to open up your internet services browser and choose to sign out. Signing out will disallow anyone to use the internet until you are signed back in again. Essentially, you'll still be connected, but not unless you log in with your password.

I think I could better assist you with what you're attempting to do if you give me a little more info on your service provider :)

-And as for the password, have you tried booting in safe mode, and then setting the password to see if it applies in regular mode? I really cannot think of any reason why setting the password in the control panel would not work, because I do the same thing for my laptop and have to log in every time I start up the computer. After that, I stay logged in, but that's a matter of preference and the fact that I don't have my computer on hibernate.

5. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

I am using att which I believe was the former sbcglobal/yahoo. You made reference to my "internet services browser" I presently am using Internet Explorer and FireFox as my browsers.

Concerning safe mode, I know very little about it, and I do not know how to boot in safe mode. What is safe mode and what is involved in booting in it.
    Thanks.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

7. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hmm. Which step didnt appear on your PC?

9. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Concerning Auto-logon. I got to the folder "Winlogon" and had four subfolders and accross to the right was "default" When I double clicked on right, I got "Edit String" - no user name to delete as the next step of the instructions say.

By the way, with the putting a password on the dsl, I didn't figure out yet how to do it, but I came accross a way that for all practical purposes works. Our filter has a feature that either automatically logs on or has to have a password put in everytime before you can log on. I set the filter so it has to have a password each time, so for all practical purposes, you have to have a password to get on line.

10. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

It seems like half of what I do on my computer, I do backwards. Well, I got rid of autologon by doing something backwards. I found this link: http://www.tweakxp.com/article36712.aspx
    The link is how to set autologon. I did the opposite of what it said and got rid of autologon. Maybe this will be of some help to someone. At least my problem is solved. Thanks for the time and help from others.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice