1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to switch ext

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by meirionwyllt, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meirionwyllt

meirionwyllt Thread Starter

Hello, I am trying to use my new SATA HDD inside a USB case and have it as an external drive to my laptop. I have initialised the drive in Computer Management and formatted/given it a letter. However, on subsequent bootups, it will not start when my Windows XP SP2 starts up, and for it to appear in Computer Management/My Computer/Device Manager I have to switch off the power then switch it back on.

When I go to my BIOS setup and look under Hard Drives, my internal drive and also my other external HDD (PATA, exclosed in another USB case), but it will not recognise my new drive. I believe this to be something to do with it.

I have the latest version of my chipset and I have since flashed my BIOS with the latest version off the Acer website (my laptop's brand). It's annoying, because I can get my new ext drive to work, but I can't get it to initialise when Windows boots.

I have tried to look for a newer BIOS version (Phoenix) that the one off the Acer website, because I don't trust that they bother checking for newer BIOS/Drivers, but to no avail, unless I want to pay £30 to esupport.com for a new BIOS, which I don't.

Can anyone suggest what/where the problem might be?

Thanks

2. meirionwyllt

meirionwyllt Thread Starter

In This Post There Was A Mistake In The Title, And It Was Re-submitted Shortly After With The Correct Title. Please Post Your Replies On The Other One. Thanks!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!