1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to turn off Shortcut key pop-up when Alt key is pressed in Word!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MediaGirl, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MediaGirl

MediaGirl Thread Starter

We just installed Windows 7 and everything is working well until I get into Word. If I accidentally hit the ALT key and on screen keyboard with shortcuts pops up and I have to hit the ESC button twice to turn this off....VERY frustrating when you are in a hurry! Can anyone help?!:confused:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Afraid this can NOT be turned off, and the Alt key shortcut is a Windows shortcut and has been there since Windows 95.
    It is used in almost every Windows compliant program.

I Word 2007, a second Alt will turn off the display of the next step. There is no need in hitting the Esc key.

3. Brett_WinTeam

Brett_WinTeam

I think this is what you are looking for! You can use Group Policy settings to disable commands and menu items for Office 2010 applications by specifying the toolbar control ID (TCID) for the Office 2010 controls. You can also disable keyboard shortcuts by setting the Custom | Disable shortcut keys policy setting and adding the virtual key code and modifier for the shortcut. A virtual key code is a hardware-independent number that uniquely identifies a key on the keyboard. A modifier is the value for a modifier key, such as ALT, CONTROL, or SHIFT.

Check out this site:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179143.aspx

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
    Windows Outreach Team

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/942589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice