1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to update cable modem driver USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MsWrite, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsWrite

MsWrite Thread Starter

Hello,

My PC (Windows XP Home Edition) often shuts down without notice and then restarts. Microsoft identified the problem as the WebSTAR Cable Modem Driver, created by Scientific Atlanta, which needs to be updated.

I know where to obtain the update for downloading. The update driver is 159 KB and my previous driver is 15.5 KB.

My question is: How do I do this?

My original WebSTAR Cable Modem Driver apparently is in my windows operating folder c:\windows\system32\drivers which has hundreds of files! If I save the download in that folder, will it automatically update the previous version of WebSTAR? I am reluctant to go in there, as these are all my operating files.

Any help is much appreciated.

MsWrite - Montreal

2. WarC

WarC

you should be able to save it to a different directory. That way it'll be easier to find. Or, write down the name of the file and then go to Start->Search and then look for it.

It'll most likely be an executable that you can click on. From there it should walk you through the steps.

Some drivers are more of a pain to install. If it doesnt run, let us know what extension the file has( .exe, .zip, .inf, etc) and then we can help ya get them installed.

Just wondering, what sort of things are you doing when it shuts down? Or is it random? The restarting could be a different problem.

3. MsWrite

MsWrite Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, WarC. When it was time to download the file, I was asked if I wanted to save it – so I actually put it in another directory – c:/drivers/modem. However, the old driver, which is somewhere in my operating system directory, c:\windows\system32\drivers, is still running the show.

The new download is actually a compressed (zipped) folder, with the name WebSTAR 2000 Series USB drvrs v. 3.2.3. When I click on “properties” there is no extension given, probably because it is a zipped folder.

About shutting down, it IS random, and the computer automatically restarts immediately.

Should I try downloading the new driver directly into the directory where the old one is? Will that automatically replace it? Or will having two cable modem drivers in the same directory confuse the computer?

Thanks,

MsWrite

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice