1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to upgrade pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisauk, Sep 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. chrisauk

chrisauk Thread Starter

Hi all, I tend to buy second user PC's such as Dell or HP. Ex corporate machines. The one I have now is a few years old and is a little sluggish. I only use it for the net, and a little image editing really. Anyway, looking on ebay for a faster model, I note that most in my budget are i3's or i5's. Mine is an i7, so I think an i3 would be a downgrade? Maybe it's going to be a struggle to get a faster pc for a couple of hundred quid? I have done a snapshot of my current config, any comments/guidance on upgrade appreciated. I've attached a speccy snapshot of my current config. Any comments appreciated. ScreenHunter_024.jpg

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP/Compaq brand computer, but it's unknown what model name/model number/case size it is.

These are the performance scores for its Intel Core i7-3770 3.40 GHz quad core processor and Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated graphics device:
    cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

It appears to have only 6 GB of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM, so that's possibly one reason for its slowness.
    It supports DDR3-1600 MHz RAM, so you might consider switching and increasing the amount to at least 8 GB, but preferably to 16 GB.

We don't know how full its 931 GB capacity hard drive is, and we don't know how well it's been maintained, and we don't know what's installed and running in it, and we don't know how dusty the inside of its case is, so there could be several reasons for its slowness.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with bassfisher6522.
    Switching from a mechanical hard drive(HDD) to a solid state drive(SSD) will improve speed and snappiness.

You might be better off though with purchasing a refurbished HP or Dell which comes with newer and faster hardware.
    There are plenty of them out there in the $300 - $500 price range.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. chrisauk

chrisauk Thread Starter

Hi, thank you for your help. I bought it on ebay and the details were ....

HP Compaq 8300 Elite SFF i7-3770 Quad 3.40GHz 8GB RAM 1000GB HDD Windows 10 Pro

..Update: - after reseating the ram i now do have 8GB showing, so hopefully that will help.

As for an SSD, any links to one that will work in this box would be appreciated? (I'm in the UK btw).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The next time you decide to buy a refurbished HP or Dell, select the microtower/minitower case instead of the small form factor/desktop case.
    Besides it having a higher wattage power supply, it has more room inside to prevent overheating, and it has more hardware upgrade options.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Check the links I posted in post #3. Newegg.com does have a UK site.

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

9. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    I agree with the above: Upgrading to an SSD will perk your system right up.
    Also consider doing a Adware cleanup - I endorse ADWCleaner (Free). I have seen it perform miracles on sluggish & unusable PCs.
    If you do go the route of upgrading to an SSD, then consider doing a fresh windows 10 install.
    You will need USB Flash drive (4Gb or more). Use the "Windows 10 media creation tool" to download and create a windows 10 installer on the Flash drive.
    Put the new SSD in the PC and boot from the Flash drive.
    Get a SATA to USB cable and use it to transfer the data from your old Hard drive to your new SSD.

10. chrisauk

chrisauk Thread Starter

Thanks all for your great help. Just a little confused over different SSD's though. I am in uk and need a 1TB SSD that fits my system. Any links to such a thing appreciated. The link above is not the right thing for me.

11. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Can you elaborate on how you are confused?
    One thing I am confused about is that you reported having a 1TB HDD and you have been advised to get a 512GB (!/2 TB) SSD, in spite you never having stated what your current disk usage is.
    "light photo editing" seems to be the activity that you do that would consume the most disk space. Depending on how many photos you are storing and how large they are, that can have a massive difference in your storage requirements. Do you store RAW picture files?
    You really should post your current and projected disk usage.
    As far as selecting an SSD goes... You need to consider size primarily, then brand reputation and price. Since you are upgrading an older PC, you would not notice any benefit from buying a faster SSD. A unit that is 10.1 times faster than your HDD will not appear to be faster than one that is 9.9 x faster. They are all in that performance range.
    Go to https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ and browse your options. Also keep in mind local availability. Support your local computer store if you can and care about that kind of thing.
    You need to select a Form Factor of 2.5". There is no place to install an M.2 drive on your computer. Here are 3 brand options. ADATA is a solid brand name you may not have heard of and usually tops the value charts. You can't go wrong with Samsung or WD.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-960-gb-25-solid-state-drive-asu650ss-960gt-r
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/vRWfrH/samsung-860-qvo-1-tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76q1t0bw
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/GTCD4D/western-digital-blue-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0a

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    bassfisher6522 likes this.
  12. chrisauk

chrisauk Thread Starter

Hi, I'm no pc buff. Sorry. Was just a little confused at different sizes of SSD, but, now I know I need a 2.5, that's fine.

My current HD is a 1TB and has a lot of stuff stored on it. I would just like to clone it to an SSD so need the 1tb version.

I'll go for the samsung as mentioned, and my plan would be thus: -

Using drive image, I would back up the whole of my current C drive before removing it. I would then put the SSD in, and restore the drive image backup onto it. This way, I wouldnt need to externally clone the hd/SSD and I could avoid buying a usb/sata converter cable as well!

Will / should it be as easy as that?

13. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You will need a SATA cable, a free sata port on your motherboard, a power connector/splitter, and software to clone the drive. Samsung has a cloning utility you can download.
    I still suggest you clean adware off your PC before you start and do a fresh windows 10 install unless you have a ton of difficult to reinstall software.

14. chrisauk

chrisauk Thread Starter

If I take my current C drive out, then it will give me a free sata port, and sata cable, will it not?? Can't I simply plug the SSD into the same wiring as the current sata drive that the SSD will repalce? And what is a power connector /splitter?

And yes, instead of cloning, I will probably just rebuild the whole disk from scratch.

15. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

The best way to check is pull the side panel off and look inside....there should be a few free ports for expansion. Can you post a picture of the inside of your PC. Also post the exact model so we can look up the specs.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice