1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LCalder865, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LCalder865

LCalder865 Thread Starter

Dell OptiPlex GX I
    Processor: Pen II
    Math Support: On Chip
    Bios: Poenix Technologies 04/28/99
    Bus Type: PCI, ISA, AGP, USB
    Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
    Memory : 256 MB (73% Utilized)
    Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
    Hard Disks: 7.84 GB
    Multimeda: Sound, CD-ROM
    Video: 800X600 in 64K Colors, RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X
    (English) Ver. 5.24-C38C

Windows: 4.10 (Build 1998)
    Dos: 7:10
    Net Clients: Microsoft Provider for Netware
    Microsoft Network

I am trying to upgrade this computer to Windows XP Home Edition then install Quickbooks 2006 Accountant Edition and network it with my main computer.

QuickBooks Accountant Edition recommends:
    At least 500 MHz Intel Pen II (1 GHz Intel Pen III recommended or equivalent computer
    At least 128 MB (512 MB recommended) of RAM for a single user
    At least 256 MB (512 MB recommended) of RAM for multiple, concurrent users
    1 GB of disk space (additional space requaried for date files)

What will I need to upgrade to get XP Home Edition to work on this computer with QB? I think I need to add an other hard drive or place the existing one. I think there is room to upgrade the Ram.

What are your suggestions on this?

Linda

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No upgrade, its a replacement that you need. You'll never get that PC running at the recommended specs unless you replace every part in it. Any upgrade would be a huge waste of money with extremely poor results.

My suggestion is to buy a new computer, it'll actually be cheaper.

$299 for a new Dell: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DB110A&s=dhs
    Add $50 to upgrade the RAM to 512MB.

3. LCalder865

Can I put the XP Home Edition on it anyway?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It would run so incredibly slow but its technically possible. Then you still need to buy the Windows XP, you can't use a copy that already installed on another computer. And QB may not even install, if it does it'll like very poorly. I think it would be a waste of time and money.

5. LCalder865

Is it the size of the hard drive and ram or processor speed?

6. LCalder865

I have already bought Windows XP Home Edition and opened it. So I assume I can not take it back.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its all of that and more. Its a 7 year old computer. Its worth nothing at all, running Windows XP it will be slow, expecially once you load on QB and try to use it. And if its on the internet you'll need a firewall and antivirus software. And you'll need backup software. All of that will have its own system requirements and combined will result in very poor performance.

Have you ever use QB before? Is slow as it is, especially once the file sizes grow and the number of users increases.

Upgrading the memory, processor, hard drive, and adding a backup solution , as well as the cost of Windows XP and you've spend as much as you'd expect to pay for a brand new computer that will run 100 times faster. That and an old system like that , and a Dell at that, has limited upgradability anyway.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, you can't return software once you've opened it. Try to sell it on eBay, and go buy a new computer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice