Need Tutorial on "How to Slave a Hard Disk" for Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lotuseclat79

My nextdoor neighbor tried to slave his Win98 disk into his WinXP Home computer. Although the Device Manager seems to say that it recognizes the slave disk, when My Computer window is displayed, there is no recognition of the slave disk? We went through a device manager uninstall and reboot with the same result.

My neighbor did not make any changes to the BIOS to indicate a slave disk - I assume all are IDE on his HP machine.

Can anyone point me to a good online tutorial dealing with "How to Slave a Hard Disk" for Windows?

Tia,

-- Tom

I am sure his current drive is set up and jumpered as Cable Select. If it is the drive you are adding as a slave also needs to be set to cable select and plugged into the second connector on the ribbon cable. The BIOS also needs to recognize the drive in order for the OS to be able to use it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Did you partition and format the slave disk?

Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. You should find the slave there. If it has no graphic to the right in the lower display, right click on the left hand ID panel and Initialize the drive. Then you'll be able to Partition and Format it. It will then appear in My Computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online