1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Urgent Help With USB Enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jrru2, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

I have a USB Enclosure kit that allows and ide drive(hard drive, cd/dvd drive etc) to be hooked to a computer via USB. I've had this for about two months, and it's worked just fine. Until today. I have three hard drives and a dvd burner that I swap around in this thing so I can use them with my laptop. Well, nothing works today. Windows XP recognizes the Enclosure itself, but it never finds/reads the drive inside. For the dvd burner and one of the hard drives, in device manager, 'USB Mass Storage Device' has the ! next to it and says 'This Device Cannot Start(Code 10)'. For the other two hard drives, they show up under 'Disk Drives' in Device Manager, along with the Laptop's internal drive. However, in the properties box for the drive in the enclosure, if I go to the 'Volumes' tab and click the 'Poplate...' button, it says uknown, unreadable etc for everything. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the enclosure more than once. I have tried restarting and rebooting the computer. I have made sure again and again that the IDE cable is properly inserted in the back of the drive on the enclosure. It just won't work. Again, this only just started today. Yesterday it worked fine.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

Come on...these hard drives have very important files on them...

any help please!

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Per chance did you 'unsafely' remove it when it was last working?

Also, what operating system are you running?

4. ~Candy~

And I'm also assuming you haven't changed the jumper settings on the drive from the MASTER selection?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that the constant handling of the cables in the USB enclosure has broken something. You can install the drive as a secondary drive into a desktop, or buy another USB enclosure, they're $20 and up, not exactly a kings ransom. :)

6. ~Candy~

You aren't answering very rapidly for someone so impatient ;)

Hey, john, I need another one of those puppies. I can't find any $20 ones. You have any great links for me :)

7. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP Professional.

I thought about the possibility of cable tearage or anything like that, but I've inspected the whole inside of the unit and I've seen nothing that would suggest physical damage.

Last night, the little bubble thing that gives messages on the XP taskbar sometimes, it came up and said 'Delay Write Failed' or something to that effect and the letter of the USB drive. I don't really know what that means. Anyway, I always turn the enclosure's power off before I unhook a drive from it.

8. ~Candy~

I was more leaning towards the little bubble that shows the mass storage device, there is an option to safely remove hardware BEFORE you power down and BEFORE you would unhook it. Not saying that may be the cause, but it's best to use the safely remove hardware option prior to turning it off.

9. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

But if I were to remove a drive 'unsafely', that would damage the drive, wouldn't it? If that's true, then it doesn't make sense that ALL of my drives fail to work in the enclosure now.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Hope this does not sound too simplistic . . but have you restarted the pc since the last disconnect? . . it could still be thinking it is connected

wrs

11. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

Yeah I did, many times. Thanks anyway.

12. Jrru2

Jrru2 Thread Starter

I just tried installing the enclosure with a hard drive in it on another computer, with Win98Se, and it didn't work there either.

13. ~Candy~

Well, process of elimination tells me something is wrong inside the case itself.

14. JohnWill

I have this impediment to answering questions quickly, an impatient client that pays me real money to do his work. :D

For those cases, have you checked the assortment at NewEgg? I don't know about $20, but they had some USB 2.0 ones in the $30 range. I'm using a few of the BYTECC models here, and they're pretty inexpensive and seem to do the job.

15. JohnWill

While you may not see the damage, that doesn't mean it's not there. Those ribbon cable connectors are not meant to be handled a lot, and the wires break right at the connections under the insulation.

You should buy enough cases to hold the stuff that you want in external cases, that will avoid the constant handling of the single case. They'll work for years if you just put them together and leave them that way, but they're not designed to be used the way you're using them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice