1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need urgent help !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Greetings !

Yesterday my wife had switched on the computer , when I came in the evening I saw that the green light on the monitor had turned to orange (which normally lights up when i go into standby mode ). But the computer was not on standby ,since I tried to move my mouse and even pressed the keys but no luck it remained dead . Even on pressing reset nothing happened.
    I switched off the main power switch and then after a couple of minutes I rebooted no problem, the comp came on i did my work and I switched it off at night .

This morning I was playing Americas Army online and suddenly the monitor light changed to orange again and all went dead. This time I opened the cover and the computer , fans were off but the hdd light was on in the front panel and Mboard red lights were on I again I switched off the main power supply and rebooted the problem went away.

1. Please explain this phenomena?
    2. Is there any danger of any part failing ?

I have switched off the automatic standby in windows.
    My config

Winxp pro
    Amd xp 1.8
    dfi ad73pro mb
    Seagate 80gb
    gforce 4 mx 440
    512 ddr
    Atx power supply

Does this sound like a typical case of the Motherboard shutting the system down due to heat !

Any suggestions please

faiz

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

Sounds like a power supply problem... but it keeps allowing you to turn it back on.

You can monitor your system's temp... but it seems your problem happened ALSO when it wasn't on a "load". Sheesh, today my main APC Surge protector BLEW UP - waking me up!! But my PC was off - it tripped the breakers for my home. It's all nice and brown now. Oh yeah... luckily it didnt start a fire as my carpet was slightly burnt.

How big is your PSU and what brand & model number is it?

PS: For Americas Army - look at a $80 GF-4 Ti4200, will make a big difference ;)

3. scmazter

scmazter

Well... I have no idea on the exact problem, but can give a few suggestions.
    Is your computer getting all the power it needs? Perhaps there's something wrong with the power supply, or mabye one of the wires carring electricity inside your machine is fried?
    Although this probably isn't happening, but mabye your PC battery is dead.
    If the problem still hasn't - O O I just remembered, it might be a virus, yes how could i forget. Try using a free online virus scan like the one at Trend Micro . If it is a virus, and it finds one consider yourself very lucky. If it doesn't find a virus, u might as well take your PC to the local repair shop.
    If it does find a virus, look up it's name in the virus encyclodepia (also at trend micro) and it should have removal instructions.

4. zeddy

zeddy

It could be a number of things - hard drive problem, power supply issue an issue with the motherboard - I had this recently with one of my old PCs, turned out to be failing capacitors (look for evidence of bulging capacitors or leakage around the base of them). The PC kept falling over then eventually all the capacitors were blown and it failed completely.

5. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thanks for replying so soon!

The brand isn't mentioned yes the Model no is LPM2-20 and it says 300w.

I have run the anti virus all clear.
    Just replaced the mb cell times ok.
    Hard drive is new .

I'm feeling it is temperature.
    Can someone tell me what are the components that switch off , when the computer crosses the heat level( if the mb supports it).

faiz

6. zeddy

zeddy

The main component that will switch off is the CPU.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Your PSU is called a "linkworld"... if you look carefully at the GRID (if it has one) it should show you an actual "total" wattage.

Your PSU costs $16~18, their 400watt is $20~23, 500watts = $28~32.

This says the quality of the PSU... sold under various names, none of them "good". A GOOD 300watt PSU is about $35.

GOOD 400watt PSUs are $60~100.

Everyones suggestions are good here... study your board, but plan on a $50 replacement. You can get an Antec 350watt at CompUSA (or anywhere) for $50.

8. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Wow , how did you manage to get so much info just by a serial number, teach me a thing or two.

I'll keep all the basic suggestions in mind.
    ya zeddy thats what had happened the cpu shut off as well as the fans, though the power lights remained on as well as the led on the mboard.

Thanks.
    faiz

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

Get another PSu... borrow one... you're risking damage using a faulty unit. Don't turn a $40~50 part into a $300 problem.

You posted a model number... not a serial number.

The trick? In a word:

www.google.com

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice