1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need utility to detect video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by octogenarian, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. octogenarian

octogenarian Thread Starter

I recently reformatted a spare desktop and am having problems with the video display. The video card apparently has been replaced and I don't know what is in it.

Anybody know of a utility that will examine the Dell and tell me what kind of a video card is in it? Until I know, I can't install the proper driver.

Thanks.

2. Anexxion

Anexxion

you need to update drivers.

3. raybro

raybro

Give SIW a try. Download it here. I suggest the "Standalone" version. No installation needed, just download and open. Then under Hardware, click Video. In the right pane, the info about your video adapter should be displayed.

Raybro

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. octogenarian

Thanks to all of you. I will check the chipset driver first and report the results of my labors here Sunday.

6. vicks

vicks

You might try going to the Dell support and enter your service number. They should be able to tell you what is on the system. Also the Belarc Advisor mentioned above is great for telling you everything on your computer, including license numbers etc.
    vicks

7. 2rrk

2rrk

8. octogenarian

I intstalled the chipset driver. Still no results.
    Belarc said no display was detected.
    Dell's order for the computer shows "64 MB GeForce Graphics Card with TV-Out". That takes an Nvidia driver, I think, but when I try to install the driver, it says no hardware was found and the install aborts.

I will try the other suggestions later in the day. Stay tuned.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does the adapter show up in Device Manager? What driver is it using?

What chipset and where did you get the driver?

Sometimes, you need to install the default VGA driver before you can install the NVidia one (I have read--never actually had to do it because it was already installed).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709415