1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need WIN 9X drivers for HP Pavilion XT983

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brushmaster1, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brushmaster1

brushmaster1 Thread Starter

I bought a used HP Pavilion XT983 with a corrupt installation of WIN XP Home. I reformatted and installed Windows 98SE, but I have no drivers for video, modem, or ethernet. I looked on HP's web site, but could find NO information on this computer.

I would appreciate it if anyone could post a link to a place to download drivers.

I need:
    Modem drivers
    On board sound and video drivers
    On board ethernet drivers
    Drivers for HP Internet keyboard

The modem is the one that came with the computer. If worst comes to worst, I have other modems I can install.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I see what you mean- did a pretty thorough search at HP site and could not get any info to come up for product specs....usually, this info is easily available, the site itself might have a problem...think I would email them or contact however you wish through Customer Support and find out what is wrong.
    I was able to get about 87 separate documents relating to windows and HP and your model number does show, so I am pretty sure you are reading it correctly. Will look around some more. There was some Internet trouble reported today,which may be the problem. I could not get to drivers for your model but other models work.
    No Restore CDs came with the computer? You may be able to get some....some companies will send you copies if they can get them....for win98se and below, it is getting harder to find them.

The email and contact hp links from this page do work- try it. Might be awhile till you hear back.
    http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposuppor...lion62773&pname=hp pavilion xt983 desktop PC (US/CAN)&pname_desc=HP%20Pavilion%20xt983%20desktop%20PC%20(US/CAN)&opname=hp%20pavilion%20xt983%20desktop%20PC%20(US/CAN)&lname=hp%20pavilion%20xt983%20desktop%20PC%20(US/CAN)&prodhomesURL=http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/product.jhtml?lc=en%26pagetype=hppavilion62773&ctflag=&iqry=&ctry=us&lang=en

The HP Instant support module can be installed on any computer- you can then find support info. It comes pre-installed with winXP Home Edition. Your best bet might be to get the hp computer online and use this link:
    http://instantsupport.hp.com/euserv/jsp/hpinstantsupport.jsp

I am looking for a modem driver now- stay tuned.

3. plschwartz

plschwartz

4. brushmaster1

Thanks, guys!

Byteman...
    I've already installed a different modem in the HP machine, but I still need all the other drivers.

As soon as I get that machine on line, I'll check out driverguide.com, as it appears they need to gather info directly from the computer.

5. brushmaster1

An update:

I used SiSoft Sandra and Aida32 to find out what chipsets are used for sound and video. I tracked down a video driver...sound is next!

I anticipate problems finding drivers for HP's (proprietary) internet keyboard, but everything else should be available.

Thanks to Byteman and plschwarz for their interest and suggestions.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice