1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need windows 2000 server asap - any ideas

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by JimmyDee21, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimmyDee21

JimmyDee21 Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for reading my post

I have an issue my colleagues and I are trying to solve. We have a legacy programme that will only run on a 32 but windows 2000 server. Even though support was withdrawn in 2013 - colleagues did not update the software. Only now are they doing it and it will be ready in about 3-6 months

We have been told by the owner of the server that it has been running on will be taken out of service in about 30 days - we cannot extend this (we have tried and it's not important enough to them to keep it running - nor will they sell it to us)

Does anyone know where I may rent a windows 2000 server for say 6 months?

Thank you in advance
    Jimmy

2. srhoades

srhoades

Virtualizing it is probably your best option.

3. JimmyDee21

JimmyDee21 Thread Starter

Thank you srhoades for the reply
    I know the tech guys had this running in a virtual environment on a 32 bit server
    What they are saying is (I am trying to help them here - I am not someone who would do this) that they cannot find a server suitable
    I have looked for 32Bit servers to rent that will run windows server 2000 (virtual or otherwise) and am being told no one will support the win 2000 server software as it's out of support
    Does that make sense?
    Again - many thanks indeed
    Jimmy

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

The reason why it's a problem is it looks like you're trying to work through a hosting service. They have to provide support for whatever you run on their servers.

The easiest way to get around this is to go buy an old Dell PowerEdge server and load up Win2k server on it. You should be able to get a server for dirt cheap.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice