1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Windows 98 tech guys

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zergpc208, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I have a quetion for the Windows 98 tech guys my IE has bean doing some bad stuff like locking up and needs reboots .Is there not a repair option in the add-remove programs .I don't want to repair it yet just check for corrupted or damaged files..

Also is there a way to check for corrupted or damaged registry files:eek:

2. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

But I don't want to repair yet only check it..

3. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

Does your computer freeze up everytime you go online? Your problem may not be IE6, but may be a hardware issue.

If your computer freezes everytime you go online, then that may be an indication of bulging/leaking capacitors, on your motherboard. Tell us more about your system.

4. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Some times IE will lock up, but if you try to close IE some times it will not close but I can still use the computer it just that is freezes the window some times .Ya after using a computer for 8 hours IE and the Windows shell become flaky needs a reboot.

But I can't say it freezes up every time I go online or try to close IE most of the time it works 95% of the time.But after 8 hours of use it needs reboot a task like to clear your temp folder will lock it up.But its funny I could go online for another 5 hours and it will not lock up just slow .

I'm still working on it!!

Hard-drive 81 GB
    RAM 224
    CPU 1.8 GHz.

I also got a fetal exception OE has occured at 0028:c0031580..I don't know if it has some thing to do or not?I will like to check for corrupted or damaged registry files and also check for corrupted or damaged files in IE.

Than I will like to check if my RAM is bad or I have a memory leak.But I will like to check the above first has OS can get bad over time.

5. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

Win98 is well known to have, what they call, a memory leak, that is, some programs have a hard time of releasing memory after it is no longer needed, and thus, after several hours of running, you run out of memory.

You might try this: Click on Start/Run, type in msconfig click on the System.ini tab, highlight [386Enh] click the edit button, and add (copy and paste) ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

Let me know how it goes.

Also, while in the msconfig, check the startup tab, and see if there are non-essential programs that you don't need, to start, when you startup your computer.

6. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I should also say I ran system file checker ..And it is saying..

system file checker identified that the following file may be corruped

File setupx.dll
    Location C:\windows\system

What should I do here.

And it seems after I got the fetal exception OE has occured at 0028:c0031580 that the computer is locking up more and had to press the reset button 3 times to day.

And why is it some times after a reset I click on IE it opens up but no web site comes up but if I close it and click on IE later on like 3 minutes it comes up?

7. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

The setup.dll file has probably been replaced by windows updates, and Microsoft programs, so I would just leave that as is. Click on the first option to verify the file has been updated, and continue the file check scan.

Did you check your memory? Do you have a memory testing program? Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/memt32.zip

I would clean out the Temporary Intenet Files and Temp files, to see if that helps. Do you have a program like CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you don't already have it, download a trial version of Ewido: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Try all that and see if you see any improvement.

8. Kitch

Kitch

Ewido won't work on Win98. . . . . . . 2000 & XP only. . . . . . . ;)

9. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

"Ewido won't work on Win98"

You're right, what the heck was I thinking.

10. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I have NOT had any IE problems now .Looks like that day was a bad day for my computer.But you seem to be getting confused with my post.That me try to explain.

Problem 1. After 8 hours of computer use the computer needs a reboot becuse of slow computer and small freeze ups that have a duration of 3 seconds.It does NOT better if you close programs and Windows is saying 65% free resources this still takes place.

When this is happening the clock is slow and wrong.Well a reboot fix it and put the right time back.

Note I know some other people who have the same problem.

Problem 2 some times not much you click on my computer or you are closing IE and the window freeze up but I can still use my computer !! Well the program is lock up.If I check Windows it is saying 8% or less free resources.Well I only have IE open.

It is strange I could have 70% free resources and click on one program like IE and it drops to 8% free resources.

Seem like glitch fetal exception OE has occured at 0028:c0031580 I only got this message once.

Problem 3 some times after a reboot because of a problem if I click on IE it opens up but no web site comes up, but if I close it and click on IE later on like in 3 minutes it comes up?

Note Problem 3 is new I never had this problem before.

11. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Problem 1. After 8 hours of computer use the computer needs a reboot becuse of slow computer and small freeze ups that have a duration of 3 seconds.It does NOT matter if you close programs and Windows is saying 65% free resources this still takes place.

When this is happening the clock is slow and wrong.Well a reboot fix it and put the right time back.

Note I know some other people who have the same problem

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I should also say when this happens task like to clear your temp folder will lock up the computer or take long time.

12. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Zerg......Have you tried the IE repair option? If not, I would think it wise to do it now.
    I no longer use IE, I use Firefox, but when I did use IE exclusively it seemed I would have to do the repair option about once every 3 or 4 months.

Also, have you done scans for virus, adware, malware or trojans?

Did you start experiencing these problems after a MS security update?
    I've had trouble, myself, with several of them.

13. sockey99

sockey99

And the name of the IE Repair Tool is ____________ !
    I would really like to know for my self, Thanks

14. Kitch

Kitch

Internet Explorer Repair tool . . . ;)

15. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Yep :D

programs>accessories>system tools>system information>tools>Internet Explorer Repair tool

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice