1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Wireless-N card to boost Wireless-N router range?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bryan2, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bryan2

Bryan2 Thread Starter

Hi everyone and thanks for you time

We have a rather large spread on our property, and had a little tussle over placement of our Wireless G router (Lynksys). I've read enough about Wireless-N to know it would be a good opportunity to upgrade and convinced our landlord to do so.

However I'm not seeing any noticeable difference in terms of the network range after installing the Linksys WRT150N - I'm still stuck at about 100 feet with a direct line of sight, which is no difference from the previous router. I have little concern for speed as our local cable internet maxes out at 600 KB/s regardless, so I figured we would be set to go with our existing wireless cards.

My question then is - is it necessary to install Wireless N cards in our laptops to improve the range? Can't find much on this topic through Google.

2. Daredeval756

Daredeval756

I think it helps a little, however im not 100% sure, talk to your landlord about getting a range extender, you just plug them into the wall.

3. Bryan2

Bryan2 Thread Starter

If we need a range extender then we might as well return the N router. The N technology proclaims to have 3x the range, and reading the CNET review supposedly this was true by their testing, so I'm left wondering if the issue is the hardware or if its a settings issue on our end.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice