Need XP install help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

divemaster5734

Long story short I had to repair XP after getting a Trojan in an email.
I had a home version of XP, so bought a XP pro disk,
I started the repair install, everything was going well until I had to input the key.
My keyboard wouldn't work.
After trying different ports, and unable to do a 3 finger salute, I just pulled the plug.
I had a pse to usb adapter, so put plugged the keyboard into that.
please note, the mouse worked during this time.
That was not compatible, but I didn't realize it for several minutes.
Now, when I try to start, it goes to a startup resuming screen, then cycles off.
This happens with the mouse/keyboard in or out.
It is a continuous cycling.
I let it go, and it continued for 15 minutes, that was about 8 auto restarts.

I am not a software person, but I do use this for my construction company, the HD has thousands worth of estimating and take off software I do not want to lose.
Any suggestions?

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can't repair a Windows XP Home installation with a Windows XP Pro disk. What was "going well" was a complete installation of Windows that would have none of your previous programs available. Depending on which options you selected during that installation, your data may be gone as well too.

If your computer is powering down, then there's a hardware problem.

divemaster5734

There a repair feature.
Once you hit install it goes to a screen that reads your hd and will ask if you want to repair it.
It then begins to load only xp.
During this process it read my hardware and made it through to asking for the key.
I went through cmos and all hardware passed, and the cpu is working.
There is something else causing the restart.

divemaster5734

This is strange.
Everything works in cmos, then when the xp resume start up begins the cd starts to spin, the screen indicates progress, then it just restarts.
Could this be because I have the mouse and keyboard in different usb slots and xp resume startup sees that as a different configuration?

Does your problem is your computer, OS and software?
Now I am here to help solved your problem.
All you need here at techyv

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online