1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Needing a little help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jedijcl, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

Hello to anyone and everyone that submits their ideas and suggestions about this problem i'm having. Well here goes. I just recently reloaded my computer with windows xp and now everytime i put a disk "just about any disk" into my cd-rom my monitor will go blank. It acts "the monitor that is" like it gets unplugged from the computer. The pc is still running. Thank you for your time.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

After is goes black how do you recover from it to get a picture back??

Have you installed your Video card Driver?

3. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

I have to eject the disk then power my computer completly off and then turn it back on. After i do that the pc works normally again until i try to put a disk back into the cd-rom. Yes i have installed the lasted drivers for my video card.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood....

What else do you have hooked up to the PC.....like second Hard drives...DVD drives ..printers etc?

5. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

I only have 1 hard drive, the only cd-rom i use is a dvd-rw as my main disk drive. No printers or other devices are currently hooked up.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Try lowering the screen resolution by Right clicking on a empty place on your desktop and choose Properties then Settings and see what happens...

You say almost all disk it does this......what disks does it not do it?

7. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

I've tried lowering the screen resolution all the way down but that doesn't work. I've place just a data disk and a dvd into the drive and they seem to work but the screen will still flicker on and off a couple of times before it settles down and works correctly. When i'm trying to install the video game World of Warcraft thats when it has been messing up every single time.

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Go Start then Run type dxdiag click OK

when loaded make sure that at the bottom says DirectX 9.0c

Then click on the Display tab and on the left is your Video card ...let us know what it is

9. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

It says video card name " NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 "
    is that all you wanted to know from that screen or did i forget to include more data?

10. bonk

bonk Banned

When the screen opend up first after typing dxdiag at the bottom area did it say DirectX 9.0c?

11. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

Yes it did. Do you believe it to be a hardware issue instead of a software problem?

12. bonk

bonk Banned

I think it's your video card , at least for the game ....your video card I believe is only 64mb

13. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

But I haven't had any problems in the past with the game and i've had the game with the same video card for over a year. A friend of mine said it was a hardware issue but i'm not sure which piece of hardware he is refering to, the DVD-rom drive maybe?

14. bonk

bonk Banned

OK understand.....didn't know it has been working before

Do you play the game from CD?

15. jedijcl

jedijcl Thread Starter

No, once i had the game loaded i didn't need to have the cd in the drive. Sorry for the confusion. I have a ATI Radeon 9250 256mp video card, should i install that to see if that will help?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice