1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Needing a way to reorganize drive from C: -- C: D: E:???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dhh1213, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

I am needing to organize hard drive on Dell laptop-- to make backups simplier. As you may have guessed, my data, programs, OS, all reside in C: area of drive. My Dell has the hidden partition to restore XP2 and I have OS reinstallation CD from Dell, along with a TI ver 9 backup program. My question, is there any shortcut or easier way to accomplish this without having to painfully reinstall each program to D: and move all data to E:? Do I partition the C: drive first, then start this process? Could I backup to TI and then restore selected data to E:? Just very unclear on how to go about this.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    some programs will not install on D and a lot of the install software will go to C anyway

why not use D & E for data - then all you need to do is copy your data across

3. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

OK, so programs might as well stay on C with OS. OK. How do I go about this? Partition first using what, XP itself? Then start organizing Pictures, data, whatever by copying to D and E. What I originally wanted to do was be able to reinstall XP without touching anything else. And what about drivers? If I reinstall XP then I lose drivers, correct? I just want to be prepared if or when computer hard drive goes south.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you do not need to backup the C: drive - although a copy of it using ghost or something may be useful

But you can put the PC back to how dell sold it to you using the recovery CD. and keep the install kits for all programs - these will be the CD or if downloaded of net Keeep those backed up

then all you need to back up is the data on D and E
    I keep all my data in my documents - no matter where the program wants to save anything - Everything i save i save to my documents, i have even moved my outlook files to my documents - this may not be possible for you depends on prgram

then I have a program which backups - favorites, outlook and my documents.

if you use outlook express have a read here to backup

5. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

So it is OK to start partitioning with XP's disc manager correct? Whatever free space on C: will change to D: and E: Then I need to copy all of My Documents to other than C partition.
    I have 2 other computers besides this one networked. If I share My Documents from other computers can I back up those as well?

6. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

Also you said "some programs will not install on D and a lot of the install software will go to C anyway". So how do I backup programs downloaded from the net that are mixed in the C: drive along with the operating system?

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not sure how recovery will work - if you are doing the partition, I thought this was dells partition

personally i dont like partitions - as it can be painful to save stuff - but thats just me

8. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

So you mean it is just easier to backup a portion of C drive, My documents and download all programs under that same area --- My documents so it is easier to save AND backup.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    dont know about easier - just my preference, i'm not so keen on partitions - I'm sure others here will tell you different.... just me.

a lot of programs want to save to
    c:\documents and settings\username\my documents

i'm sure theres a tweak to change that - I dont know it - some programs you can change to save on D or E

as i say I just then back up the files I want to keep - using synctoy

But others who use a partition method may advise differently

no point in backing up programs after they have been installed - you need to save the KIT that you installed from

what program are you using for backup

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    see my prevous posts

you dont back up the programs after they have been installed
    when you download the program - you will have a kit saved - .exe or .zip
    thats the files you need to backup

I have a folder called KITS and i save all the downloads to that folder and make a subfolder with the program name and also save some details about the program off the website - so i know what it does ............
    then make sure I backup Kits - in fact i often save kits to a DVD - so i have all the programs seperately

11. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

Cool!! Great advice for backing up programs, I knew that you didnt need to back up programs after install, just the .exe or .zip. To answer your question, Acronis TI ver. 9 for backups. Now another question, for a backup for this Dell laptop would you suggest a 2.5 hard drive in a USB enclosure? I guess the way you do it is, make a ATI boot disc that if your computer craters, pop in the ATI boot disc and have it restore from the USB drive back to your laptop.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    remember I'm just backing up the data - so a simple copy does that
    yes I have three HDD's two 3.5 and one 2.5
    the 3.5 are around 300GB and the 2.5 100gb

I back up every thing to one of the 3.5's and very important stuff also to the other 3.5 - so i have two copies on HDD and then I also make two DVD's for important stuff - like images etc.

I then keep a lot of the files I may need regualr access to on the 2.5 - which i keep in the laptop bag, so its always with me when ever, i'm away and i can copy any data onto that to whilst away.

My Backup methodology does not have this faclity
    I tend to rebuild the PC's although I must admit thats quite labour intensive - but then I can at least only install stuff really use - overtime I tend to collect a load of rubbish on programs I try out ..

so if you want an image you can restore- than you would need advice form others and the partition maybe best for that

13. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

OK, now you have me wondering, if a simply copy is OK for data and pics, what is the value of an image, besides having one of your OS.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    exactly that - if you take an image of say a 100GB hard drive which is full to say 50GB - then all you need to do to recover is simply restore the full image - then you are back up and running again immeditely - all data - all programs etc

My way is a couple of days of rebuild

15. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

OK, guess I forgot that it is faster and easier. Now, back to the catagorizing programs, I just looked at Synctoy's original download from Microsoft and it is a file called Setup.msi.
    How do you match the details of Synctoy that is copied off the website with the file Setup.msi?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice