1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Needing Help With GIMP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Holly3278, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I could use some serious help with GIMP. I am trying to edit an animated GIF image. What I am trying to do is I am trying to remove text from the image on each frame of the animation. However, I can't figure out how to do this? Could somebody please tell me how to do this in detailed, easy to follow steps? Thanks, I'm a GIMP amateur. :eek:

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

No help with Gimpy... wouldn't waste my time... Animation Shop 3 that came with Paint Shop Pro7 years ago beats the pants off most animation programs even now but...

If you post the animation I'm sure someone can help

3. Hughv

Hughv

There are probably better programs for this.
    Open the file, and make sure the layer palette is open so you can select the layer you want to edit.
    Basically, just turn off all the layers except the one you're editing, make your changes and move to the next.
    It might be easier to just create a new animated gif.
    http://tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/July1998/article51.html

4. SSSteve

SSSteve

I use Irfanview/I first open the GIF up in irfanview the select options/then extract all frames/save them to where ever you like/now you can open up the slide that has the text and edit it with irfanview by cropping it out or take it into what ever prorgram you like and remove the text.
    Steve

5. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I'm a long time Gimp user. :)

You'll have to edit each frame of the animated GIF individually. When you load the GIF, look at the layers in the layers dialog and each frame will be in its own layer.

I don't know of any way to edit ALL of the frames at once.

Hope that helps! :)

Peace...

6. idowindows

idowindows

There isn't any other way...

7. flytape8490

flytape8490

each layer is a frame
    hit Controll+L to bring up the layer window
    Hide all the layers by clicking all of the eyes next to the layers
    reactivate ONE layer
    remove the text however you choose
    repeat for all the layers
    save as a gif. if it asks if you would like to save as an animation, click yes.

8. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Ok, I got as far as the Control+L thing and the window that comes up. After that, I'm lost.

9. Hughv

Hughv

Animated Gifs are made in layers (Frames, in this case) . Each layer shows different progress in the animation.
    If you don't understand layers, you should start with a quick review of what they are.
    You can only edit one at a time, and the "Eye" symbol controls which layer is visible.
    Close (Remove the "eye") in all the layers but one, and edit that layer.
    Open the next layer, close the present one, etc.
    Layers:
    http://www.nwe.ufl.edu/writing/help/graphics/gimp/layers.shtml

10. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Here is a tutorial on simple animations with Gimp.

Peace...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice