1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Needing to Upgrade, Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Savassan, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Savassan

Savassan Thread Starter

Alrighty, well after trying to figure out whats causing all my computer problems I finally am just going to break down and buy some new parts, but i dont know where to begin and what is good. So any advice you guys have is awesome.

Video card- Burnt (Was using Radeon 9800)
    RAM- Dead (I was using (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM ))
    Motherboard- Asus K8N-E Deluxe. (Im thinking I need a new one, this one doesn't have PCIE slots)
    Sound- SoundMax integrated Chip.
    PSU- eXtreme Power 650W. Made by Cooler Master
    Processor- Athlon 64 3400+
    Hard Disk
    - Number of Hard Disk- 1
    - General info- SMART: Version 1.1
    - Other Info- IDE channel- Master Drive
    - Size: 160 GB
    - Cache: 8.192 GB

CD Rom Drive-Info
    -IDE Channel: #2 Master drive
    -Manufacturer- Sony
    -Model- Sony RW DW-D22AReading CD-Rom :125x (22160 KB/s)

-Am i missing anything?

I don't have alot of money so be reasonable. And tell me what you think would be the most important thing to change, and what you would recommend.

Thanks
    -Savassan

2. ICONIC

ICONIC

Ya those specs are fine, doesn't matter if you have a budget computers are pretty cheap nowadays, any computer store like futureshop or bestbuy will be able to sell you a high performance computer for like $500 - $800, thats desktop.

3. Savassan

Savassan Thread Starter

I was thinking a Video card like one of these, altho in all honesty I have no clue how good they are for the price, I need something that will last me awile and play games with High Graphics demand Smoothly. I hate having to play Counter Stike Source on Med. Graphics because of the old Radion 9800.
    Speaking of Radion, Any opinions on them? I have 2 and both have caused me alot of problems.

ASUS EN8600GT OC Gear/HTDP/256M Geforce 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card Retail $144.98

Asus EN8600GTS/HTDP/256M GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card w/Dual DVI Retail $149.98

ASUS EN8600GTS SILENT/HTDP/256M Geforce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card Retail $160.98

BFG BFGE86256GTSOC2FE Geforce 8600 GTS OC2 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card Retail $170

BFG BFGE86256GTOC2FE Geforce 8600 GT OC2 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 w/ ThermoIntelligence Video Card Retail $118

BFG Geforce 8600 GT 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card w/ThermoIntelligence Retail $100

Were a few options that i could find. Not sure whats the best tho, and any other options are welcome!

4. ICONIC

ICONIC

The Geforce 8600 GT is really good, if you want it to last you like a couple years down i would get the 512mb because games are getting very high in the graphics department. The 8600 GTS is better but more expensive. any dual core processor is fine and at least 2 gig of ram would last you a long time in the gaming world.

For more on graphic cards go here http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php it tells you everything you need to know about any graphics card.

5. Savassan

Savassan Thread Starter

Hmm, well someone is telling me that it would be better to go with A x1900xt/pro with a 512mb Over an 8600 Gt/Gts. What do you think?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/659988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice