1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Needing VIA's 5.1.2600.5512 USB Host Controller Driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tucknut, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tucknut

Tucknut Thread Starter

After updating my VIA Enhanced Host Controller driver to version 5.4.1.0, my usb ports quit working. Apparantly, many XP users have had the same problem. One remedy I'm told to try is to update my VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller driver to 5.1.2600.5512. Trouble is, I can't seem to find it without jumping through endless hoops or having to pay for one of those driver update programs (which caused the problem in the first place).
    Can anyone send me one or direct me to a quick and easy link for it? Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer has a VIA chipset.

Go here to download VIA Hyperion Pro 4-In-1 Chipset Drivers 5.24a.
    (Select the author's site or one of the USA links.)

The file will be in ZIP format, so download it into an empty folder that you've created on your desktop.

Extract the contents into that same desktop folder.

Double-click the "Setup.exe" file to start the install process.

Select and allow all components to be installed.

Restart your computer afterwards.

You can now delete the desktop folder and its contents.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Tucknut

Tucknut Thread Starter

Thanks, flavallee. I downloaded and successfully installed the set. Unfortunately, my usb ports did not respond. So I tried a system restore and that worked.

As I understand it, the version 5.4.1.0 Enhanced Controller Driver caused the problem because it is not XP compatible. I'm tempted to install the 5.24a chipset drivers again but I'm not sure if the problem driver is included in the set. Since my usb ports are working fine now, I may better leave it as is. :p

Thank you so much for your help. (y)

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

I always install the new chipset version that's released.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice