1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Needs some help with the missing rstrui.exe file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nastystang05, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nastystang05

nastystang05 Thread Starter

Hello I was recently helping my uncle and going throught the steps to show him how to restore his computer to an earlier date and found that my system restore is missing. I did not delete it but i did have a virus a about 2 months ago. When I click on the link in system tools it says that the item rstrui.exe this shortcut refers to is missing or has been moved. I have checked C:\windows\system32 and i cannot find rstrui.exe. is there anyway i can get this back. I really would like to do this without fully restoring my computer. I do not have a windows xp disc. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's not in system32. Look in %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. If it's not there, you can extract it from the CD. But search your system for a copy first. There should also be one in the dllcache.

3. nastystang05

nastystang05 Thread Starter

i can't find the location you gave with the %systemroots%....... nor can i find the dllcache i have the view folder options set to show all system and hidden folders.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Start > Run, and type:

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore <Enter>

and it will open the folder for you.

5. tsscowboy

tsscowboy

Edit your System Restore Tab
    Start Menu
    System Restore (RIGHT CLICK) goto Properties

Look at the short cut and where " rstrui.exe " is directed

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

there should not be a " Restore " word in that line
    it should look like this

%SystemRoot%\system32\rstrui.exe

or use a registery cleaner or repair program to restore it to the correct direction.
    Vist puts it in the mail System32 folder, not a Restore Sub Folder

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/306129