1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Neep help setting up home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by simonsays34, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simonsays34

simonsays34 Thread Starter

I am fairly new to networking but I am not a beginner when it comes to some of this stuff. I have a desktop computer hooked up to a cable modem, wireless router, and a printer. I also have a laptop running wirelessly through the router.

I would like to have the computers networked so it is possible to view files on both and also, more importantly, I would like to be able to print from my laptop without having to hook it up with a cable.

I am wondering if this is possible to setup with the router I have (Netgear 802.11g WGR614) or if I have to purchase any other items.

Thanks for the help!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You have all the hardware needed you just need to setup the software side.

1) Check your firewalls (I usually disable them but you may want to disable them just to setup the network then fidget with them to get your network working as you want it)
    2) make sure both PC's are using the same IP scheme (IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt)
    3) Make sure both are in the same workgroup. If they have different workgroup names this can cause problems.
    4) On your desktop ensured your printer is shared.

As well you can do file sharing and more the main thing to remember is when printing from the laptop the desktop will have to be on in order for the print job to process. If you want it where either device can be turned off you need some kind of print server hardware (thus incurring more cost).

3. simonsays34

simonsays34 Thread Starter

Well, both computers are using the same IP. They are in the same workgroup also. I've also gone through the setup menus that Windows XP offers (i.e. setup a home or office network, etc). It seems so close yet so far. I'm missing a step somewhere. When I click on "view workgroup computers" it lists both the laptop and the desktop... this was achieved through one of the Windoes setup menus (I used my flashdrive on both computers when prompted). I'm not sure what else to do.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can't have both computers using the same IP address. It causes conflicts.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you have a router, why not just enable the DHCP clients in both machines and let it do the work of configuring the IP addresses?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice