1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Neither CD/DVD Rom Drives Operating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Galleherjazz, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

A friends Compaq computer with Windows XP Pro suddenly does not recognize either of the CD/DVD drives. She was unable to either play a CD or burn a CD on her CD burner. The prompt said something about the drives not being properly configured. I had her uninstall and then reinstall the hardware, and the red exclamation point disappeared from the two drives in Device Manager. But upon reboot, the same prompt and the same two exclamation points appeared.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? A technie friend said that a power interrupt can blow the fuses on the drives and the CD/DVD drive and the CD burner will have to be replaced. But my friend with the problem has a surge protector and recalls no sudden power interrupt. And isn't it unusual for BOTH drives to blow at the same time?

When I am at the computer tomorrow, I wil post the exact prompt that spoke of faulty configuration.

Any help before I submit further details would be appreciated. We sure hope we don't have to go the route of replacing the player and burner.

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

I have had similar problems on my PC with Easy CD-Creator, which is the Program from Hell, especially in the Direct CD mode, but my friend has not been using that program. I shall try doing with the MS-KB article suggests and report to you tomorrow after the operation!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/196538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice