1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Neo Toolbar Removal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Blitz02, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz02

Blitz02 Thread Starter

I am hoping you can help me. I have been trying to get rid of a toolbar (I am running XP PRO)which currently hijacks not only my browser but also appears as a toolbar in Windows Explorer File Manager - called NEO TOOLBAR. Every time I run anything from a browser to file manager to the Control Panel, this damn thing is consistently there. I have run all kinds of Malaware removal programs, including ADAWARE and SEARCH AND DESTROY, HIJACKTHIS etc - all to no avail.

I have included a picture of what it looks like in a IE window.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I can get rid of this thing? I am getting very close to just formatting my drive - that is how much time I have put into trying to resolve this and all the things I have read through to find something more about it.

Please email me directly in addition to posting a reply here, if possible: [email protected].

Thank you! :)

Attached Files:

2. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy Blitz02, You should be able to remove is via Control Panel/add/remove programmes and click on "remove".

3. Blitz02

Blitz02 Thread Starter

Yes - I know - IF it were listed there. Actually - I was able to fix this dog finally myself. I booted to a SAFE environment (F8) and deleted the file called MSQSB.DLL located in the \Windows\system32 subdirecotry.I knew that this was the file since I used HIJACKTHIS to identify how the NEO Toolbar was getting loaded:
    O3 - Toolbar: Neo Toolbar - {722E8B26-1C44-460F-88BB-50C82B20E30E} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msqsb.dll

Once I deleted any instance of this using HIJACKTHIS, making sure that HIJACKTHIS WAS the only app running (****-down all browsers and instances of File manager etc.), I then shut down - booted to Safe mode to a DOS prompt, and deleting that file seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for your reply, though ...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice