1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nero 5 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azncompman, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azncompman

azncompman Thread Starter

My Nero will not open, uninstall or install. i had the pe_parite a virus on this computer after i got XP and it took a while to get rid of. as some of you might know, you have to go into the registry and delete the value. then i had 2 go through a bunch of RBO files (no clue wut those are) including one from nero. most of the programs quit working after i deleted the RBO's so i deleted them but they were nothing important. Nero i need and im kinda at a dead end here so i need some help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Scan your computer to make sure no more viruses are left. Use an online scan such as: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

What happens when you try to install Nero? Any error message?

You may want want to install an update from the Nero website, and then try to uninstall or install Nero - it might replace the corrupted files or fix the uninstaller. They may also have a manual uninstaller but not sure on that.

3. replay

replay

i had a similar problem trying to uninstall nero (for a fresh install) what i did was a complete defrag of the hard drive....then it uninstalled fine.....

4. azncompman

i managed to get it uninstalled but i still can't install it. it says that the installation was interupted was inturruped and couldn't be completed. by the way the burning features built into win xp don't work either. like when you send it to the cd rw drive and it burns through my comp. i know my cd burner works cuz i have used it on this computer.

5. replay

replay

are u installing from a disk or downloading from the nero site?

6. rockinmale

rockinmale

I would have to say that you may have not completely removed the virus. This virus infects all your exe files and scr files. This is probably why you cannot install nero or any other program.

Try this virus scan.......Here's a link
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If worse comes to worse......I would do a reformat and a clean install of xp. Also install a antivirus program to protect you from this happening again.

7. azncompman

you mean it can affect stuff on cd's?

8. azncompman

i have nero 5 on a cd that came with my cendyne cdrw drive. It's not the quick wizard version. dunno if that makes a difference

9. replay

replay

10. azncompman

That clean toopl did the trick. thanx a lot. one more thing. does anyone know why my burner only burns at 24x instead of 48x? also it doesn't burn cd-rw's because of a medium speed error. it only burns them at 4x instead of 16x?

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What kind of CDRWs are you using and what is the listed speed on them?

12. replay

replay

i have a 52x burner in a extra pII computer and i burn at 24x... i'd rather burn slower with no probs than fast with errors....whats a few minutes wait anyway?

13. azncompman

for cd-r i got optinum discs and they burn at 48x on my friends burner. for cd-rw i got prism discs and they don't have a listed speed on them.

14. azncompman

i dunno if theese are national or just like small local brands

15. azncompman

ahh think that i have found the prob. Firmware for my cd burner. anyway does anybody no where i find the serial numbwer for my cd burner??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!