1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nero backups

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Stoner, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stoner

Stoner Banned Thread Starter

This is not about the backup app that comes with Nero ( I'm using version 6 ) ......Backitup.
    I've tried the Nero Backitup application and didn't like it.

It is a quest for information about the ability of using the main app, Nero Express.
    When choosing 'Data' from the menu, there is a choice of 'Data Disk' and 'Bootable Data Disk'.
    My question concerns 'Data Disk'.
    When burning to a DVD+R ( or a CD R ) as a multisession, a particular folder......the previous session, already burned, is available for updating with newly saved items, automatically.
    My question is.....are there any issues that can prevent this new session from being an accurate representation of a backup......aside from flaws in the media?
    I've never seen any discussion on it.

I already have a good backup plan with SyncBack and Karen's Replicator to an external drive........and don't intend to stop using them.......just curious as to the integrity of the above ...as it's already there in Nero and could be useful as an inexpensive secondary backup.

Thanks, Jack :)

2. Stoner

3. valis

valis Moderator

truth told, SJ, I haven't the foggiest. I just use SynchToy and have been pretty satisfied with it. Again, though, when it comes to backups, I usually find something that works and stick with it; I'm all for testing new software and all, but not on something like backups.

I just didn't want you to think you were being ignored. :)

4. Stoner

Thanks Tim :)

It's a means of backup I haven't seen discussed in the past and thought it timely since one of my external drives I use just became unreliable.
    It's a cheap alternate backup plan until I get a warranty replacement of that Seagate drive.
    CD and DVD media aren't generally considered long term storage, but in the short term, say 12 months or so, I think they're reasonable.

I've tried using several backup apps that burn to an optical drive in the past, but the hassles of special formatting of the disk and the unreliability I've seen using the media after it's formatted turns me off.
    The mentioned procedure in my opening post requires no formatting.
    I've been using this method for a week with out incident and the backups look correct......but I'd like to know if there's a downside to it that's not obvious to me.

5. Stoner

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!