Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Burning ROM

6K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
I have nero 5.5.9.9 installed on my xp(without sp1) system and it keeps on not responding you try to close nero. It does not close you have try and restart the system. I was going to install sp1a for xp but it's corrupt and i will have to download it again but i only have a 56k modem. I was wondering is it doing this because nero need sp1 to work or updating nero might help?

Thankyou

#4 ·
I will tell you what happens. I startup nero i want to copy a audio cd so i select in the wizard i what to copy a cd. I select the source drive. Select burning speed 48x hit finish button it just stops there and freezes. I have no cdr in the writer so i know it not the disc. I am sure the cdr disk is only a 12x but nero should change the speed down to 12x. I have nero working fine on w2k sp3 with my 6x4x24x speed writer.

#5 ·
I've never tried burning that way. I copy the cd to my hd, then set the burning info in nero - I make sure that I set the burn speed to (or below) what my burner is rated for. All of the coasters that I've made were my own fault for trying to do something that nero couldn't. I mean if your burner is rated at 12X I don't see how you could burn at 48 and I'm not sure if nero automatically adjusts itself...

#6 ·
I've had the same problem with Nero and XP. I've tried everything including changing the CD drive locations on the Primary/Seconday IDE connectors, making them slaves and/or masters, updating Nero, etc...

But the only way I've found to get around it is to copy the CD using the burner as the source drive. In the wizard, when prompted for the "Source Drive", in the drop down box select the burner. It will copy the CD to the hardrive and then prompt you to insert a blank CD and burn the copy to the same CDRW drive.

#7 ·
My burner is a 48x16x48x ide and i am sure the disk that i am using is a 12x speed cdr. and i don't think setting the burning speed too high for the disk does this because it still freezes and the cdr disk is not in the burner. I can remeber reading that nero and all cd writing software has a database of mostly all disk and it select the speed from there. Or is it the disk give this info to the burner software what speed it is compatible being burn't at.

My dvd and my cdrw are on the same ide channel (secondary) I have not come across this problem before because my old cdrw is a scsi. Would it work if i put my burner on one of my raid channels?

#8 ·
I think all 48X burners analyze the CD and select the best speed. Some allow you to bypass the feature and others don’t. The conservative approach is to set the speed at the max rated speed of the CD. If you burn faster you increase the error rate.

Set the burn speed at 12X and try it with the CDR in the burner. I can see why it would lock up if you tried to record without a CD in the burner. And if your burner allows you to override its analysis of the CD it could also cause a lockup if you actually try to record at 48X to a 12X CD.

Also make sure your buffer underrun protection (Burn-Proof) is engaged in Nero.

Brian Do you have the latest updates for your chipset? Sounds as though you have a bus limitation and sometimes the updates will allow you to record on the fly.

#10 ·
Brian Do you have the latest updates for your chipset? Sounds as though you have a bus limitation and sometimes the updates will allow you to record on the fly.
Yes, unfortunately all drivers are the most current. It's only copying a CD from a regular CD drive to the CDRW drive that causes the problem and I've had the same issue with Nero and XP on a PC at work with totally different hardware. It just locks up part way through the copy. No errors, just a total lock up. So I just do a copy using the CDRW as the source and the target drive and it works fine that way.

#11 ·
Whats causing xp to lockup? Is it nero? or xp? On my machine nero just stops responding and you can't close. Not even in the task manager. The only thing that makes nero stop responding is trying to copying from my LG drd-841B Dvd rom it does not even reach the burning screen with how much % is left to go onto the cd. Or even if you click on it to see whats on the disk. If you click on the wee plus its fine browsing the cd.

I reconfigured my system so the dvd rom is on the secondary ide channel the cdrw is on the primary and the hard drive is on the raid.

#12 ·
I have found out it must be my dvd rom. I am sure it was fine in my other system with nero on it. It could be xp and nero? I am using clone cd and its fine with my dvd-rom drive. So whats wrong with nero? I would like to use nero because i like it and it come free with the cd writer.

#13 ·
”My burner is a 48x16x48x ide and i am sure the disk that i am using is a 12x speed cdr”
”i set the burning speed to autodetect although i have a 48x burner it burns at 40x so i gather the spindle of disks i bought are only 40x”

If you are sure the disks are 12X try using a 12X recording speed.

.”I can remeber reading that nero and all cd writing software has a database of mostly all disk and it select the speed from there.”

The ATIP file on the CDs does not usually show speed anymore. It also doesn’t identify the CD to the point that Nero could consult a database and know the speed. It just has dye type, manufacturer and size information. There are Taiyo Yuden disks for example that use cyanine dye and 700Mb capacity that range from 8X to 52X. There is no way for Nero to determine which one it is without using the analysis from the burner – and that isn’t always accurate.

” I am using clone cd and its fine with my dvd-rom drive. So whats wrong with nero?”

I don’t think CloneCD will copy a CD on the fly, so you are doing something completely different.

”I reconfigured my system so the dvd rom is on the secondary ide channel the cdrw is on the primary and the hard drive is on the raid.”

You can’t do better than that – perfect setup IMO. I trust both optical drives are set as master.

#14 ·
Everything is working except nero on xp does not like the dvdrom don't have a clue why? Clone cd does copy on the fly. I can't remember if they are set to master i will check.

#16 ·
Hello GohanX what operating system are you using? Does nero express crash when you open it?
I have had no trouble with nero before on win98 or win2k it was fine with my dvdrom. But now my dvdroms in my new system running xp nero crashes while trying to browser what cd is in the dvdrom and nero express just crashes at start up.

#18 ·
I bought my son and daughter each a CDRW with Nero. My son's has Win 98 and has CDR also. He cannot get it to write using both drives. My daughter has Win Me, but her computer has a metal mesh bradded in the extra bay, so we just installed the CDRW. Hers works fine with the one. Nero has a problem. I use Adaptec with no problems. My son called Nero and d/l software, but it still did not work. Hope someone can solve this.

#19 ·
Make sure you keep updating nero the current version is 5.5.10.42. I have but its still not fixing the problem.

#20 ·
Originally posted by djrock:
My burner is a 48x16x48x ide and i am sure the disk that i am using is a 12x speed cdr. and i don't think setting the burning speed too high for the disk does this because it still freezes and the cdr disk is not in the burner. I can remeber reading that nero and all cd writing software has a database of mostly all disk and it select the speed from there. Or is it the disk give this info to the burner software what speed it is compatible being burn't at.

My dvd and my cdrw are on the same ide channel (secondary) I have not come across this problem before because my old cdrw is a scsi. Would it work if i put my burner on one of my raid channels?
Do not put burner on a raid port; those are for hd only. Some add in cards like promise controllers will accept drives other than hd, however the raid channels on your mb will not work with something other than a hd. I do not think it is an xp problem since one of my boxes is running xp sp1 and nero 5.5.9.13 with no problems at all. Nero does recommend setting the burner and the dvd / cd rom to different channels, however I never do this and do not have problems.
Some things you might check; is DMA [if applicable] enabled on both drives? Do you have the mb / chipset drivers installed? Check for any firmware updates for your burner

#22 ·
You guys that post just to post for no more then to draw out threads make it harder to follow for the users that come along to help or would like to use it for help in the future! =p

Also, You techs that post with as many posting experiences that you have should be a little more note worthy =)

DJ..

First, you dont have service pack1. Fine, but have you downloaded all the required system and security updates for your system? Chipset drivers and such?

Try another cable and check and see that the jumper settings on the back of the drive are correct and maybe try and just setup your burner as the only drive installed on the cable. Also, try removing the burner in Safe Mode! and then shut down, unplug the cable from it, reboot, and then reinstall it (computer shut down and power off of course =)

Second, i dont see why you did not just try and select the speed you thought your CDR media was =/

Third, is this a newer installed setup (burner or system/XP)?

Fourth, have you tried uninstalling the nero rom and then reinstalling it with a fresh download from nero's site? Turn off any download accelerators you have and REBOOT IN BETWEEN installs/uninstalls! In fact, Check out my post here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=146087

Try disabling and renabling the dma on the drive, rebooting in between and also in between reboots see if nero recognizes your burner and test it between the dma changes, selecting the appropriate speed of your burning media of couse =) DMA enabled on some roms will have trouble, especially when burning.

Will Nero uninstall and reinstall after following my post and will it work now =?

If this still doesnt work =?

For future reference, please post what model drive it is you have in your initial posting, please =)

Keep Us Posted..

-Z

#24 ·
It might be the xp driver for my dvdrom that could cause nero to lockup.

#25 ·
Fine, but have you downloaded all the required system and security updates for your system?
What do security updates have to do with software not working? Seeing as most of these are for breeches that may happen, I ignore them unless they are very small.

#26 ·
MysticEyes,

"What do security updates have to do with software not working? "

In limited instances some security updates also change other system functions/files/java coding/etc, thus requirung other updates. limited being the key word but none the less.

"Seeing as most of these are for breeches that may happen"

Umm.. if they do, you pose a threat to the rest of use =)

"I ignore them unless they are very small."

Define the meaning of small!?

Examples:

The size of the file? Whats that have to do with its importance !?

If your meaning just you, ok. But its users like this that think the same way and create daily global issues that hamper the rest of us =/

If your meaning the risk could be limited in its usage that your unlikely to ever see the problem happen yet these problems DO happen on a daily global wide basis =/

:rolleyes:

download the updates already missy....

And Sp1 mean nothing, so long as you have the required security and system updates =) If you do not and all is working for you, your pretty fortunate, for now.

Food For Thought.....

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.