1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nero Classic 2017 program not working

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mygenericemail, Feb 16, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. mygenericemail

mygenericemail Thread Starter

I bought Nero Classic 2017 to play DVDs, as it is advertised as specially geared for Windows 8.1, which is what I have.

I bought Nero Classic 2017 and I have NO sound on any DVD I try and play with Nero. All other video types have sound, but for some reason there is NO sound when I try and play a DVD.

I have tried adjusting all the audio features it has, and nothing has worked.

The DVDs I have are standard DVDs, none of them are high def or Blue Ray.

I have contacted Nero customer service, which is not only a joke, it is abominable!!!!!! All they do is keep giving me tiny little tidbits of questions and answers, instead of giving me ALL the information I need upfront, all at once. It's going on THREE WEEKS now that I'm still getting the run-around from them!

I am getting NOWHERE with these idiots!!!

Does anybody know how to fix this stupid program to play sound with DVDs???

I have a Win 8.1 computer.

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Many here at TSG will probably tell you to get and use the free VLC player

4. mygenericemail

Which does not work, as I've already tried it.

I need to know how to fix this Nero program.

5. plodr

plodr Liz

6. mygenericemail

Cyberlink stopped playing DVD's, period.
    Contacted their supposed "customer service", all I got was a sales pitch for some other crap they sell.

VLC played the DVD, but only as a two inch wide screen. Even playing with the screen settings just made it fuzzy or blurry. Contacted their "tech support", only to be completely ignored.

Nero "support" says their programs don't support HD or Blue Ray. Well, all I have is standard DVDs with the standard Dolby logo's on the cases. I don't have HD anything and I don't have Blue Ray anything. Everything is standard DVD's.

I've NEVER had any problems playing my DVD's until this year, and all of a sudden I've had nothing but problem after problem with all sorts of video playing programs. NOW, I'm getting ripped off from Nero, as they claim to have the most "up to date" programs for Win 8.1, which is what I have, and yet their stupid software can't even play the sound on my DVD's!

I had Microsoft run a check on my pc, and they didn't find anything wrong with it. So it has to be these video programs that are screwed up.

And now I've wasted my money on this lousy Nero program that does not do what it claims it does!!

7. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

As I noted in your other topic, the issue very likely isn't the media player (any of them). Something changed with your PC or Windows which has now broken media playback (affecting ALL of the media players). You stopped replying to the other topic before resolving anything, and now you bought additional software (which doesn't work - surprise!). If you are willing to answer questions and do a little work, we can likely get this fixed.

I would start with a full AV and malware scan. Just to ensure the PC is clean. If something is found, it needs to be corrected before continue further. If you don't know how to scan, or if you find anything suspicious, there is a board here: https://forums.techguy.org/forums/virus-other-malware-removal.54/

Next I would run sfc /scannow to ensure all of the Windows core files are valid.
    > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

Ensure all of the Windows updates are installed.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  8. mygenericemail

I have up to date Norton anti virus and anti everything else on my pc.
    It catches everything so far.

I will go over the links you provided, thanks.

As for the questions, what questions do you have?

9. mygenericemail

Ok, I ran that program, this is what I got....

upload_2017-2-19_6-58-35.png
    upload_2017-2-19_6-59-3.png

Thats as about as "computer techie" as I get. I don't know anything about files or where to find them or how to replace them. Those repair instructions are a bit over my head.

All updates were installed last week, there are no other updates at this point.
    There is still no sound.

10. mygenericemail

After some researching, I found an automated system repair function for corrupted files on the Microsoft site.

This seemed to work, as I ran the scannow shows no corruptions at all and systems is 100%.

I updated all drivers, and they all stated "you have the most current driver available".

Nero is still not playing sound on my DVD's.

So, it's not the computer, its the program.

11. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Sorry for the lack of response as I've been ill.

So SFC is no longer finding any issues and Windows is up to date. That's a good start.

As for the drivers, don't rely on Windows (ie: that's the only way you will see "you have the most current driver available"). Manually download and install the drivers.

If this is an OEM computer (ie: Dell, HP, etc.), you can get the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. If it's home built, you will need to know the hardware brand/model and you can then get the drivers from each manufacturers website. At a minimum, I would suggest updating/reinstalling the system (ie: motherboard) drivers, audio drivers, and the video drivers. It's possible that you do actually have the latest version of the drivers installed, but that doesn't mean that they aren't corrupted or actually working properly.

And if it was a "Nero" issue, all of the other media players you tested would be working. As (last) you noted none of the media players are working, it's an underlying problem.

12. mygenericemail

Sorry you been sick. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, didn't think of that......something still wrong if having problems with the "free" players. Hmmmm.

How do you manually update drivers? I've never done that before, its all been automatic.

I have a HP Envy pc, so what it has on it, is what came installed on it.

13. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

You should be able to get all of the drivers from the HP website: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

You can manually search if you know the model # or you can let the site scan your system and see what it finds.

14. mygenericemail

I updated via HP drivers from that link.

Still no sound.

I uninstalled Nero off my pc.

I downloaded DivX to see if one of those free players will work, and it still does not play anything.

Same old problem when I try and play a dvd with one of those "free" players.

I click "play" and this is all I get....
    upload_2017-2-25_18-33-29.png

Doesnt matter if I click video or audio, nothing happens.

All I want to do is stick a damned DVD in my pc and click "play"!!!!!

Is there are program that will do this????? I'm getting really fed up with this.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017 at 8:04 PM
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185445